Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[1st Edition WFRP] A scale model of Castle Von Wittgenstein from Death on the Reik.
My favorite RPG might just be 1st Edition WFRP, followed by 2nd Edition AD&D. So with that in mind my thoughts have been turning to iconic images from 1st Edition WFRP. And if I don't have enough "irons in the fire" as it were when it comes to Warhammer projects my thoughts have been turning to the next large scale terrain project.

[Image: hommlet1.jpg]
What got me thinking about it is this: 
T1 The Village of Hommlet was a classic, seminal module for many and the Moathouse (meat grinder thought it was/is) stands a indelible image of AD&D. I think for me it would be fairly easy to do something like this, but its already been done as it were. And I should add its an excellent model all around so no need to do it again.

So with that in mind, my thoughts have started to coalesce around this, a scale model of Castle Von Wittgenstein from Death on the Reik.
[Image: 698920850_orig.jpg?340]

It's certainly an ambitious undertaking at a 25-28mm scale, but after this I think I can pull it off: http://dogsofwaronline.com/forum/sho...22160#pid22160

I don't think anyone has ever done something quite like this in terms of an old-school module as a terrain piece, that is in WFRP terms.

Now, I do have the module (obviously) but one thing I'd have to decide early on is which route to go. What do I mean by that? The floor plan/map is not the same as the art which is to be expected.
[Image: castle_von_wittgenstein_map.png]

The tougher route to go with is the art because its just that one picture from the cover and the backside not shown would require some guess work based on the map.

NOTE: I've posted this a couple of different places (Chaos Dwarfs Online and the RPG Site) to gauge interest/ideas/feedback.

Right now this is in the idea phase only.
That will be a major challenge Willmark! I have been studying the map you provided! 
The drawing accompanying your map does not match the map itself.
The doors to the great Hall, how are anchored?
The balcony level, looks like it has to be consideredan intermediate level but the drawing does not appear to leave any room for it especially when compared to the main building in the fore court where the kitchen is located (area 17).

Those seem to be just some design mistakes that can make your building it a lot harder. 

Then there are some logic issues. Why would the gatehouse between the two courtyards have te be so high, as depicted in the drawing, it is not necessary as only people on foot will ever cross the bridge, the stables are in the fore court and there are steps that lead to the drawbridges.

Lastly, do you intend it to be playable for a major battle or is it more geared towards roleplay?
Im not sure what the intent is to be honest other then in a general, Sir Edmund Hilary sense when asked about climbing Everest "because its there" Wink

I agree there are issues with scale (I've posted this on a few other places on the web) and will have to take into account that fact when I start construction. Right now I'm still gathering materials and planning it out.
I would try to capture the look of the artwork and about 1 room out of 5 from the floor plan.  Scale back. Less is more.
An update of my progress thus far:
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...#pid281874
Hello World!

Looks great Willmark. Only about 2000 hours more work to do Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [1st WFRP] a different Campaign World Willmark 3 2,740 03-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Willmark