Bretonnia 8th edition
[Image: bretonnia%2B8th%2Bed%2Bcover%2Bcopy.jpg]

Download:
http://issuu.com/m4cr1ii3n/docs/warhammer__-_bretonnia
http://www.scribd.com/doc/90233315/Warhammer-Bretonnia

"But... they are already an official army with rules!" some might say, which is of course absolutely correct. But seeing as they haven't had a rules update for nearly 10 years and do not appear to be getting one soon, I figured "what the heck, I might as well do it myself". Bretonnia just so happens to be the first Warhammer army I ever collected, so giving them some attention lies quite close to me.

It will contain all the older units ofc, as well as a couple of new ones to give them more options in the field. Apart from that, the list will get a facelift rules-wise, as well as a ton of new background from "Knights of the Grail". Oh, and special characters are back by the dozen!

Currently steamrolling through it, finished with the bestiary, virtues and magic items already, so hopefully I might have it finished this weekend.

Special Characters:
Louen Leoncoeur
The Fay Enchantress
The Green Knight
Repanse de Lyoness
Baron Odo d’Outremer and Suliman the Saracen
Tancred, Duke of Quenelles
Roland the Marshal
Bertrand the Brigand and the Bowmen of Bergerac
The Knight of the Perilous Lance
Tristam le Troubadour and Jules le Jongleur
Reynard the Hunter
Jasperre le Beau - The Dragonslayer
Armand d’Aquitaine
Bohemond ‘Beastslayer’ - Duke of Bastonne
Sir Amalric of Gaudaron

Lords:
Bretonnian Lord
Prophetess of the Lady

Heroes:
Paladin
Damsel of the Lady

Core:
Knights of the Realm
Knights Errant
Peasant Bowmen
Men-at-Arms
Truffle Hounds

Special:
Questing Knights
- Paragon
Pegasus Knights
- Gallant
Foot Knights
- Chevalier
Herrimault
- Faceless
Mounted Yeomen
- Warden
Battle Pilgrim and Grail Relique

Rare:
Field Trebuchet
Grail Knights
Spirits of the Fey
Hippogryph Knights
I did this once for 7 edition use, but didn't bother updating it because Bretonnia is at a very good place right now in 8 edition. I do recognize some of the units I added though Smile Love Truffle Hounds!

Looking forward to a read-through Wink
Yeah, Brets aren't an awful army by any means, but they are still very outdated. I intend to give them a bit of a boost to their cavalry to counter the steadfast of most armies, without going overboard ofc. Then the virtues and magic items will be updated, pts costs will be adjusted, some units will get some stat boosts, and they will get some skirmishers, scouts and heavy infantry to give you something else other than just knights, while still keeping in line with their theme.

And yes, saw your 7th ed version, quite liked the rules for faceless and truffle hounds, which I have included in the list Smile
Excited to see what you come up with, but not overly happy about heavy infantry in a Bretonnia. IF you include heavy infantry in a Bretonnia army, they should not be a better choice than any of the knights units.
A lot of people have wanted to see some sort of heavy infantry in Bretonnia to have something other than M@A to cope with for every situation. However, my Foot Knights will be a lot more toned down compared to most other fan-made Foot Knights who usually are either stubborn or have some other long intricate special rule to make them more interesting. The Foot Knights in this list will simply be KotR on foot with several weapon options, meaning you will still have to rely on your mounted knights if you intend to play the army to their strength. If anything, they will be WORSE than mounted knights as they won't have the lance formation.
Some heads up info on this one for those interested: unlike my other books, this one will only have 10 magic items (apart from those belonging to special characters), but virtues will remain the same in number.

Also working on a Lore of the Lady. Yes, Bretonnia will finally have their own spells, including one that can turn your opponent into a frog!

The book won't be released this weekend though (that would have been a little too optimistic), but maybe at the end of next week, currently awaiting some old White Dwarfs which contains some fluff for various special characters.

The book is currently up to 127 pages, and that's even before adding the background from WFRP!
No! Now go away, or I will taunt you a second time! Ni! Ni!
I'm currently a knight, but someday I have dreams of advancing to Asarnil Dragonlord.

Not a Bretonnian knight, though. I want to be one of those cool Arabyan Mamluks.
(03-31-2012, 08:43 PM)NewGuy Wrote: No! Now go away, or I will taunt you a second time! Ni! Ni!

[Image: 4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg]

Are you actually objecting to something in the list, or are you pulling a Monty Python reference just for the sake of it? Tongue

As for the Magic Items, they ended up at 15, filling two pages. And seeing as GW haven't decided between 8 or 10 items yet, it's all good as long as I can fit it on two pages, the only thing all the new books have in common!

Naturally I didn't just want to throw away a bunch of them either, so the special characters are pretty damn tooled up now!
Been tinkering with the idea of adding in some more units...

Especially the character selection (not counting special characters) is currently pretty slim, hence there are a couple of things one could do to give the list more options:

Heroes:
- Cleric Knight (Bretonnian version of the Warrior Priest, in short)
- Minstrel Knight (similar to the Norse Skald)
- Yeoman Sergeant (peasant hero, no magic items)

Core:
- Peasant Rabble (cheap untrained infantry as cannon fodder. M@A will get WS3 again).
- Falconers (either as swarms or similar to the Hawks of Miska)

Special:
- Crusaders (veterans from Araby crusades and similar)
- Renegade Knights
- Crossbowmen ("mercenary" version, no way you'd give crossbows to the peasants when they revolt!)
- Ballista

Rare:
- Mobile Grail Chapel (would also be a mount option for Damsels/Cleric Knights)
- Priestesses/Clerics/Healers/Damsels of the Lady (small infantry unit which supports the army with healing and wards)
- Huge Wooden Rabbit!*
- Killer Rabbit of Cornwall*
- Gigantic Mechanized Castle that can walk and breath fire!*

*It's 1 April and 'm really tired okay?

Do note that I'm not saying that any of these will go into the book at all, just brainstorming possibilities. Which ones suck major meatballs and which ones (if any) would you potentially see be part of the Bretonnian list?
(04-01-2012, 01:03 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: Been tinkering with the idea of adding in some more units...

Especially the character selection (not counting special characters) is currently pretty slim, hence there are a couple of things one could do to give the list more options:

Heroes:
- Cleric Knight (Bretonnian version of the Warrior Priest, in short)
I have always wanted an option like this for Bretonnia, either as a hero choice or as a Virtue option. He could passively improve the Blessing and be a lvl 1 Light Wizard? - a great support character.

(04-01-2012, 01:03 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: - Minstrel Knight (similar to the Norse Skald)
Another support character choice...I would go for either Cleric Knight or Minstrel Knight, not both.

(04-01-2012, 01:03 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: - Yeoman Sergeant (peasant hero, no magic items)
A good addition.

(04-01-2012, 01:03 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: Core:
- Peasant Rabble (cheap untrained infantry as cannon fodder. M@A will get WS3 again).
I like the idea of the Knights equipping their peasant up as Men at Arms. Having both men at arms and rabble seems unnecessary to me.

(04-01-2012, 01:03 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: - Falconers (either as swarms or similar to the Hawks of Miska)
You mean Falcons, or Falcon and a falconer man? Giving Bretonnia cheap flying re-directors is a dangerous move Smile

(04-01-2012, 01:03 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: Special:
- Crusaders (veterans from Araby crusades and similar)
I would not like to see these as a seperate unit, but maybe an upgrade to Knights of the Realm -along the lines of Knights of the inner circle, but something different? Hatred? Stubborn?

(04-01-2012, 01:03 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: - Renegade Knights
Don't really know what your idea is behind these knights, but I feel Bretonnia does not really need more knight options.

(04-01-2012, 01:03 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: - Crossbowmen ("mercenary" version, no way you'd give crossbows to the peasants when they revolt!)
I don't like.

(04-01-2012, 01:03 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: - Ballista
I don't like.

(04-01-2012, 01:03 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: Rare:
- Mobile Grail Chapel (would also be a mount option for Damsels/Cleric Knights)
I would like to see this turns out.

(04-01-2012, 01:03 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: - Priestesses/Clerics/Healers/Damsels of the Lady (small infantry unit which supports the army with healing and wards)
Yes, maybe, if you don't include Cleric Knight. No, if you plan to include both.

The Cleric Knight seems to be rather popular, my gaming group liked that one too. Peasant Heroes have been going around for quite a while as well, they don't even need their own entry in the bestiary, just a small mention in the Mounted Yeomen fluff.

The Minstrel knight is already covered by Tristan the Troubadour, so I'd rather keep the Cleric in that case.

A mobile Grail Chapel would be their large centerpiece model. Originally I thought about giving the Grail Reliquae this role, but just having a dead grail knight being paraded around by peasants supporting the knights seemed a bit weird...

Priestesses of the Lady would likely be redundant, as damsels are already part of the list as wizards, so I'd rather keep the Cleric Knight in that case.

As for the rest, I agree with you, they are either not needed or doesn't really fit that well imo, but I wanted to see someone else's opinion as well on what the Bretonnian army needs.

Btw, do you have any suggestions for how the Grail Shrine would work? I was thinking either something similar to the cauldron in that you choose one unit to get a boost, or maybe that it effects all units within 12", or maybe something in between?

Boosts would include things like re-rolling Ward saves from blessing, ASF on the charge, etc.
The one thing I'll point out is, the Cleric Knight seems an awful lot like a Warrior Priest, which was the sole province of the Empire. Admittedly, I'm saying this as someone who has written rules for non-Imperial warrior priests in the past.

Also, good lord that's a lot of special characters.
I'm currently a knight, but someday I have dreams of advancing to Asarnil Dragonlord.

Not a Bretonnian knight, though. I want to be one of those cool Arabyan Mamluks.
(04-02-2012, 11:36 AM)NewGuy Wrote: The one thing I'll point out is, the Cleric Knight seems an awful lot like a Warrior Priest, which was the sole province of the Empire. Admittedly, I'm saying this as someone who has written rules for non-Imperial warrior priests in the past.

Also, good lord that's a lot of special characters.

He would fulfill a similar role, yes, but without the Hatred or Dispel dice. And a whole different kind of prayers.

Several armies have a Priest type of character nowadays, Ogre Kingdoms just got their Firebelly who is also a Priest of sorts.
All special characters are from the 5th ed Bretonnian book, didn't feel like leaving anyone out Wink

Yes but Beside Morr and Mannan (or however you spell the seagod's name) The Lady is the sole goddess of any significance in the Bretonnian lands. The Prophetess and Damsels are the only ones that wield any magic as childeren inclined to magic are whisked away at a young age and boys are never heard from again while the girls return as Damsels. I would think that priests of any religion within the borders of Bretonnia with the ability to cast spells/ prayers would be very difficult to find indeed! Maybe it would be better to look into something that would be more along the lines of Repanse de Lyoness (female knights with Visions granted by the Lady) something along the lines of aprox. 4 unit boosting abilities which you have to roll for randomly at the time you roll the spells for your wizards!?
I wouldn't want to have several Jeanne d'Arcs though, it would make her less unique.

I've uploaded the Cleric Knight page here, have a look and tell me what you think.

I personally see Cleric Knights as a bit of Knight Templars: warrior monks, but with more emphasis on prayers than actual fighting. On the one hand, I don't want to step on the Bretonnian fluff, but on the other, Bretonnia could really use some more character choices. I believe they are currently the only army out there with only two choices of heroes/lords.

If the cleric knight should be deemed "unfluffy", i could just make a Minstrel Knight instead.

Tristan the Troubadour's current rules are these:

Songs of Noble Valour: Tristan has a repertoire of heroic ballads of Bretonnia, known as chansons. If Tristan joins regiment and sings one of these songs, it fills the hearts of the Knights with pride and inspires the unit to heroic deeds of valour. If a unit includes Tristan you may declare that he is singing one of the following Songs of Noble Valour at the start of the turn. The chanson lasts until the start of the next Bretonnian turn. Tristan can then decide to change his tune or carry on singing more verses of the same tune to maintain its effects. Naturally if Tristan is slain or is victim of a spell which stops him singing, the effect of the song is instantly ended.

Chanson of Battle: This ballad tells of great Bretonnian victories of the past and inspires all who hear it to match or even surpass the courage and determination of their forefathers. Any unit accompanying Tristan when he sings this chanson counts an additional +D3 to its combat resolution score.

Chanson of the Grail: This ballad tells of the Lady of the lake and her sacred grail. It inspires those who hear it with confidence and faith. This chanson increases the Ward save from the Blessing of the Lady to a 4+ regardless of the Strength of the Attack for the unit accompanying Tristan.

Chanson of Gilles: This ballad tells the story of Gilles le Breton. This inspires any who hear it with pride and honour. Any unit accompanying Tristan when he sings this chanson is Stubborn.
Oh, and another potentially super-unfluffy unit! Sword-sisters, female Knights mounted on Unicorns! How awesome would that not be at all!? :p

Attached Files
.pdf   Cleric Knights.pdf (Size: 293.43 KB / Downloads: 17)
Please. The Sisters of Battle can stay in Mordheim and 40k thank-you-very-much.

Cleric Knight seem nice. Not sure about the ability to cast magic without using power dices, it seems wrong. The 12 dice cap and new bound spell rules are there for a reason.

Been thinking about your Grail Shrine a bit. How about having it as a "dual kit" thingy? One version is a construct peasants bring to battle and boost them. The other is a shrine which boosts Knight units. This will able players to create synergies and bring peasant or knight themed armies. You could create a table, similar to the Black Coach, where the Shrine itself get better the more peasant/knight units you have on the table within a certain range?

Maybe have some kind of Miracle - Miracle of the Lady, which happens once per battle; 6+ on turn 1, 5+ on turn 2, 4+ on turn 3, etc.
Miracle can be:
- resurrect fallen soldiers/heal characters
- re-gain blessing/improving blessings
- Damsels gain loremaster of the duration of the turn
- Re-roll failed dispel attempt
- auto-rally all friendly models
- Re-rolling failed ward saves
- Whole army gains Regeneration

The possibilities are endless Smile
(04-02-2012, 04:05 PM)Grim Squeaker Wrote: Cleric Knight seem nice. Not sure about the ability to cast magic without using power dices, it seems wrong. The 12 dice cap and new bound spell rules are there for a reason.

Been thinking about your Grail Shrine a bit. How about having it as a "dual kit" thingy? One version is a construct peasants bring to battle and boost them. The other is a shrine which boosts Knight units. This will able players to create synergies and bring peasant or knight themed armies. You could create a table, similar to the Black Coach, where the Shrine itself get better the more peasant/knight units you have on the table within a certain range?

Maybe have some kind of Miracle - Miracle of the Lady, which happens once per battle; 6+ on turn 1, 5+ on turn 2, 4+ on turn 3, etc.
Miracle can be:
- resurrect fallen soldiers/heal characters
- re-gain blessing/improving blessings
- Damsels gain loremaster of the duration of the turn
- Re-roll failed dispel attempt
- auto-rally all friendly models
- Re-rolling failed ward saves
- Whole army gains Regeneration

The possibilities are endless Smile

His free spells are because he doesn't get hatred or dispel dice to balance it out. That's also why they are a bit weaker than the Empire version which requires power dice to cast. And it's only a 4+ for it to go through.

The Miracle idea actually sounds pretty nifty, might just go in that direction or something similar... I think the peasants will do okay with just the Grail Reliquae though, it's supposed to be about the knights after all!
Oh, and any tips for the name? "Mobile Grail Chapel" doesn't really ring all too well... maybe "Sacrosanct of the Lady" or something like that?
(04-02-2012, 04:13 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: His free spells are because he doesn't get hatred or dispel dice to balance it out. That's also why they are a bit weaker than the Empire version which requires power dice to cast. And it's only a 4+ for it to go through.

The Miracle idea actually sounds pretty nifty, might just go in that direction or something similar... I think the peasants will do okay with just the Grail Reliquae though, it's supposed to be about the knights after all!
Oh, and any tips for the name? "Mobile Grail Chapel" doesn't really ring all too well... maybe "Sacrosanct of the Lady" or something like that?
A big fat no on the "Mobile Grail Chapel" haha. Sacrosanct of the Lady has a nice ring to it. If I come up with something I'll post it here.

My concerns of casting without using power dice has nothing to do with Empire Warrior priest compared to a Cleric Knight, it is all about keeping a balanced magic phase. Think about this: two lvl 4s and 6 cleric knights... thats 12 prayers on a 4 up without using any dice from your power pool. The opponent has two choices, save his dispel dice to dispel your lvl 4s and let you buff the knights unhindered, or the other way around - either way he is screwed every magic phase.
2 lvl 4's and 6 cleric knight would cost about 1000 pts even without magic items! But I see your point. Okay, how about this:

- Make 5+ to cast
- Only one prayer per magic phase
- Use power dice like normal, allow Cleric Knight to automatically generate power/dispel dice
- Use power dice like normal, allow Cleric Knight to channel Power/dispel like a wizard