A Mercenaries Career Begins
Hey guys,
So I've been on this site for a while now. Entered the first Golden Pike, and now, I'm beginning my army. Not sure how far I'll follow through with it (My empire only just under 1k points), but I'm hoping the flavour and diversity of the Dogs of War will see me through.

If I ever forget to update here, you can find the tale of these mercenaries and other models in my blog here.

So first things first. I bought some bits from an online ebay store. I liked M4cR1II3n's idea of using Organ Gun barrels for small cannons. Unfortunately, I could not get Cannon chasis' for my guns, so have used Helblaster Chasis. I cut it down, and trimmed off stuff on the sides. However, I need oppinions, I think it doesn't feel right. I feel, I either need to extend the chasis, or cut down the cannons barrel, as it just doesn't really feel 'small'. (Of course, I don't exactly have a large cannon to compare it too).

Personally I feel that I should cut down the barrel a bit. Maybe cut off a section at the end, or perhaps near the front. It's a little simpler than extending the chasis, and I think will get the job done.

Anyway, take a look, and let me know what you think. The great thing about bits is, all I needed was a chasis and organ gun barrel. So two cannons won't even set me back the cost of a regular Cannon itself.

[Image: th_cannon1.jpg][Image: th_cannon2.jpg]
A good start someone! Keep going! And good blog so far as well!
Dogs of War 41-1-5 (Retired)
Tomb Kings 33-0-1 (Retired)

Uncharted Seas: Shroud Mages
Dystopian Wars: Prussian Empire
40K: Blood Angels & Imperial Guard

Check out my Blog at http://www.angelssanguine.blogspot.com

Goldswords
Leave them on the shelf
nice lotr stuff love the poor lonely canon
KARAK KADRIN IS ALIVE !! IT'S ARMY IS GROWING
[Image: slayerbanner.jpg]

[Image: piratelogo222.jpg]
If you are going for the Galloper Guns, that conversion would work quite well, only the wheels seem a little big. For a regular cannon the chassis look a bit small, but you don't need a smaller barrel imo. Remember, Galloper Guns have slightly smaller barrels, but their shots are only S7.
Fair enough. These are just supposed to be regular small cannons, so I reckon I might do something about extending the Chasis on this one (And not cutting so much of the Chasis off on the next one).
Looks good - I would say just as good as what I have done with my new plastic galloper gun (which i will post sometime in the next few weeks)...
Update time. A brief explanation, more detailed thoughts can be found in my blog.

First off, the Captain I've been harping on about.
[Image: Captain2.jpg][Image: Captain3.jpg]
I love the look I've given him with the alcohol. My only worry is he might not stand out enough against my regular guys. He will of course, get the mandatory character cape, but maybe he needs more feathers or something.

Secondly, I gave converting some Venator heads a go. I think they don't look too bad, especially when you consider price differences!
[Image: VenatorHeads.jpg]

Lastly is just an updated look at my cannon. I've extended the chasis (Well, put back part of what I cut off in the first place). I think the Chasis is long enough now, since before you add the end part on, it's as long as the old Dwarven cannon. So I think it's almost done, just gotta finish with touch ups.
[Image: cannon2.jpg]

And that's that! Thanks for the kind comments so far, more will come.
The captain not stanging out drinking on the job? Give him brighter armor (he has better polish to use) and bright feathers.

The heads looks cool.
[Image: cdosig.gif]
[Image: SignatureEditor.jpg]

Keeper of the lost pdfs of Games Workshop.
I like! Nice work on the helmets! And the drinking captain really fits, seems like they would spend a considerable amount of their pay on booze. If you want to make him stand out more, you could GS some more plate on him, too make him look like he's wearing heavy armour.
Loved the guy with the spyglass! Well done!
(07-01-2009, 02:06 PM)The Besieger Wrote: Loved the guy with the spyglass! Well done!

That's not a spyglass but a Fifth of Rum.

(07-01-2009, 02:17 PM)BilboBaggins Wrote:
(07-01-2009, 02:06 PM)The Besieger Wrote: Loved the guy with the spyglass! Well done!

That's not a spyglass but a Fifth of Rum.

I was on a laptop, bad resolution. NOW I see!!!Blush

Good job, although!
mmmmmmmmm rum filled spy glass
KARAK KADRIN IS ALIVE !! IT'S ARMY IS GROWING
[Image: slayerbanner.jpg]

[Image: piratelogo222.jpg]
You found the latest spot Baumann is hiding the Rum I see.

Nice captain so far, keep updating us on your progress!
Dogs of War 41-1-5 (Retired)
Tomb Kings 33-0-1 (Retired)

Uncharted Seas: Shroud Mages
Dystopian Wars: Prussian Empire
40K: Blood Angels & Imperial Guard

Check out my Blog at http://www.angelssanguine.blogspot.com

Goldswords
Leave them on the shelf
Thanks for the kind comments so far guys Smile
No pictures as of yet (Greenstuff needs setting time!) but I can honestly say, that things have been progressing well on my Captain! I greenstuffed on some plate armour and have started work on a cape fitting on a Mercenary! The cape definately makes him stand out a lot more I think, and I'll definately grab some pictures when I get a chance.

I've finished the two Venator heads, so I think the next step for them is to build the Horses and bodies, and see if I want to do any other work to make them appear more merc less Empire. I've got a few ideas for my Paymaster, so things should proceed smoothly.
So decided to take pictures tonight. You can see the Captain as of this very moment! Cape, Plate and Rum!
[Image: th_Captain4.jpg][Image: th_Captain5.jpg]
I'm really pleased with the cape so far. This is the first time I've used some paperclips to act as a guide for the cape structure, and it has made things a lot simpler (Previous capes/cloaks/coats have not turned out so well). The cape is smooth, is rigid enough to allow me to put on more green stuff, and looks nice. Obviously not complete yet, I have to finish up the top part of the cape, but I'm feeling great about the model as a whole now.
It's looking good. I was wondering why you equipted the captain with a pike, or will he end up being a unit champion?

I like it. That should make him stand out fine among the other troops.
(07-06-2009, 07:50 AM)BilboBaggins Wrote: It's looking good. I was wondering why you equipted the captain with a pike, or will he end up being a unit champion?
He's carrying two items from our new book Smile . I'm making him for the hell of it really, because I don't think I'll ever use a Captain on foot anyway (I think my slots when I make a proper list will be Asarnil, Paymaster, Wizard Lord), so yeah, making him for the sake of making a Captain.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Zark's Averlander Mercenaries Zark The Damned 42 45,214 09-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Willmark
  Mercenaries Of The West (14th AUGUST - WIP Pikemen) Sultan Sadim 47 52,393 08-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Last Post: henerius