Reinventing Dogs of War
PART 1

This is the first article in a series of articles which showcase how to create an entire Dogs of War army using only the current ranges. Specifically, I will be focussing on how you can create every option using primarily plastics, and more specifically, each option will not follow any set themes - rather they will be an exact match of rules and models.

* Exact Match Methodology is the first wave of articles I am writing, which feature instructions and suggestions on how to build a Dogs of War model which is an absolute representation of the background and rules. Light cavalry will be men on horses, not goblins on wolves or spiders, etc. Later articles will feature varying themes rather than the Exact Match, however not until all options have been covered.

Having a vast bits box is helpful, however not essential. Each kit you purchase, while providing the core parts for one unit, will also provide key bits for the next. This will not be evident right away, as for the purpose of these articles I have tried to give a variety of units, however as each new article is released, the interdependence of the bits will become obvious.

Towards the end I will create a matrix showing the various bits required which should help you plan out your purchases (or swaps you need to do with friends).

Anyway, on to the fun stuff; the models!

Each model can be constructed in a wide variety of ways, and as such I am simply going to outline the various ways that I am aware of, as well as a more detailed explanation of the approach I used.

Purchases for models covered:
- Goblin Wolf Rider box
- Bretonnain Archer box
- 2x Empire Missile Troop box
- Empire Militia box
- Marauder Cavalry box
- Ogre Irongut box
- Dwarf Warrior Box
- Empire Cannon box
- Warhammer Battle for Skull Pass (BfSP) box

Ghazak Khan
Ghazak Khan is a Hobgoblin Lord on a Giant Wolf.
He can be constructed from:
- Goblin Wolf Rider Hero
- Goblin Wolf Rider box + bits

The goblin wolf rider hero is an easy choice, however may not have the right equipment options, or quite the right look, however alternatively this may be the model you wish to use. Just put him on a 50x50 base and away you go.

I simply used the Goblin Wolf Rider box + some other bits I had. Firstly for the base, I used the rocky outcropping that Skarsnik stands on as the base, however any scenic basing would work. For the wolf head, I used an old metal head, however the wolf head which is provided on the Goblin sprue would work also. Ghazak’s legs and body are the standard legs and body from the box. The head is simply a head with the furry helmet, however I added some horns from a Marauder Helmet and a marauder top knot to dress it up. The leg and shoulder armour pads in Mongolian / Japanese style was simply the basket shield cut into 4 pieces, and glued in place. The scitmar was taken from a plastic beastman, however the goblin champion sword would do also.

[Image: GhazakKhan1.jpg]

[Image: GhazakKhan2.jpg]

[Image: GhazakKhan3.jpg]

[Image: GhazakKhan4.jpg]

Paymaster
The Paymaster is generally a man with lower than average stats for a hero. He also functions as the Battle Standard.
He can be constructed from:
- Empire or Bretonnian Hero
- Empire and Bretonnian bits

Any Empire or Bretonnian hero whether mounted or on foot can fit the bill if you wish. Seeing as he functions as the BSB, you could even use a BSB model.

The Paymaster, as a hero can be built out of almost anything. However it does help if he has a ‘veteran’ or ‘wealthy’ feel about him. I built my Paymaster using the fat body from the Bretonnian command sprue, as well as the sheathed sword with keys and a few pouches. I then used an appropriately arrogant looking head from an Empire sprue, and some arms which I cut at the elbows. I removed the weapons from his hands, and adjusted the angle of his wrists.

[Image: Paymaster1.jpg]

[Image: Paymaster2.jpg]
Crossbowmen
Crossbowmen are men with crossbows. They do not wear armour.
They can be constructed with:
- Empire Militia box
- Bretonnian Men at Arms or Archers + weapon swaps.
- Empire Missile Troop box

The Empire Militia box contains 10 crossbowmen arms, 5 ready to fire, and 5 reloading.

Bretonnian Men at Arms or Archers require a bit more work, as well as extra bits; however they look quite good when done.

The Empire Missile Troop box is the simplest solution, and provides us with extra bits that can be used in other occasions. Of note, some bodies look more armoured or better equipped than others. If you intend to build either the Marksmen of Miragliano, or Briganza’s Besiegers, you should put these bodies aside for later use. Furthermore, you should not use any of the spare ‘propping’ left arms, as these can be used on armoured Empire State troop bodies.
I also used a variety of heads, generally those without a helmet. It is subtle differences such as helmets and better equipped models which will convey the message that a unit is wearing armour, and another is not.

[Image: Crossbowmen.jpg]

Light Cavalry
Light Cavalry are men on horses. They may be equipped with a spear, shield and/or bow.
- Bretonnian Yeomen
- Empire Pistolier box + bits
- Marauder Cavalry box + bits

Bretonnian Yeomen are not completely plastic (yet) however should you wish to use these models; for the most part they are equipped appropriately

The Empire Pistolier box comes with all the pieces you need to make light cavalry, except for some weapon varients. An Empire State troop box and/or Empire Militia box will add all the relevant pieces. The state troop box contains swords, shields and spears. The Militia box contains bow and arrow arms, and a halberd arm (which can easily be chopped into a spear)

The Marauder cavalry box is what I used, as it contains all parts required except for bow and arrow arms. As such, I obtained the bow and arrow arms from the common goblin kit – or more specifically, the Goblin Wolf Rider kit. The scale of the arms kits with the scale of the marauders, and with very little work, you can have a unit of light cavalry horse archers.

[Image: LightCavalry.jpg]

Ogre Ironguts
Ogre Ironguts are Ogres with Heavy armour and Great Weapons.
- Ogre Bull box + conversion on the standard arm
- Ogre Irongut box

There are a few methods described in detail on the Ogre Stronghold forum regarding getting the most out of your models which can be of assistance when converting Ogres with two handed weapons. For the most part, it simply involves cutting the standard bearer hand off at the wrist and re-positioning it to align with the right hand.

The Ogre Irongut box provides Ogre Ironguts with minimal work involved.

[Image: Ironguts.jpg]

Long Drongs Slayer Pirates
Long Drongs Slayer Pirates are Slayer Dwarves with pistols.
- Dwarf Slayers + bits
- Dwarf Warrior box + bits

Dwarf Slayers could have weapon swaps to remove their axes and replace them with pistols, however can be expensive.

The Dwarf Warrior Box can have a few weapon swaps, and easily be used to represent the slayer pirates. The pistols came from the Empire Militia box, however can just as easily come from the Empire Pistolier box. The plastic slayer from the BfSP box just needs a quick weapon swap, and that can be Long Drong. You can even use the powderkeg monkey and a few thunderers from the BfSP box to add some variety to the unit. I also used a hook from my bits box (I believe it came from a standard in box of Marauder Warriors).
Just ensure to paint their beards red and orange!

[Image: LongDrongsSlayerPirates.jpg]

Cannon
The Cannon is a smaller calibre cannon than a Great Cannon, with a human crew.
It can be constructed with:
- Empire Great Cannon kit
- A mix of crew, possibly even including Bretonnian models.
- Dwarf Cannon kit (or BfSP box)

The Empire Great Cannon kit has all you need for this unit. You can shorten the barrel to represent the smaller calibre gun if you wish.

If you like, you can vary the crew models, using Bretonnian models or even the powderkeg monkey provided in the Empire Missile troop box.

I used one Cannon crew included in the BfSP box, one crewman made from militia and artillery crew bits, and the powderkeg monkey. The Cannon was from the Great Cannon kit, the barrel shortened, and the short legs for the Mortar was chosen, to make it a smaller cannon than traditional Empire Great Cannon.

[Image: Cannon.jpg]

Gotrek and Felix
Gotrek is a Dwarf Slayer. Felix is a human swordsman.
- A Dwarf Slayer and Empire Swordsman

Gotrek and Felix are relatively simple to build, as Gotrek is a run of the mill slayer. In my pursuit of plastic, I used the BfSP slayer to represent Gotrek.

Felix can be represented by a wide variety of bits, he is afterall just a man with a sword. However to try and adhere with his imagery from the novels, a clean shaven face with flowing hair (from the pistoleer box) was used. Militia legs and torso were used, and Empire State Troop swords arms were also used. Lastly, for the long flowing cape, the Empire General kit provided this. These bits were acquired from a variety of sources, so to list each as a purchase at this point in time would be inappropriate.

[Image: GotrekFelix.jpg]
I like your ideas for Dogs of War conversions.

For Lumpin Croops you could try LOTR Hobbits. They are slightly smaller in scale to the Halflings in Warhammer but might work. Plus a blister has 4 Archers. You would then take a couple of Hobbit heros to convert to Lumpin and Ned. I would use Farmer Maggot for Ned (replace weapon with banner), Hobbits of the Shire for the Horn blower (maybe give the other two bows) and Bullroarer Took for Lumpin.
[Image: cdosig.gif]
[Image: SignatureEditor.jpg]

Keeper of the lost pdfs of Games Workshop.
Great conversions. Looking forward to see them painted.
ON the Human Light cavalry, what chest/torsos did you use?
This what im trying to do, You might remember me, I was Kislevraider before the site crashed.

Anyhow, my human army is a Half Kislev/Half Ostland army, with most all models having a militia or northerner feel to them, although Ive mixed some feathers and such in their also, to represent the southern part of ostland.
Im interested in this, very cool that you used goblin arms...I have a bunch of those!!!
Wow a butt naked Gotrek!!
where did you find the wheels for the canon Warlord ??
KARAK KADRIN IS ALIVE !! IT'S ARMY IS GROWING
[Image: slayerbanner.jpg]

[Image: piratelogo222.jpg]
gotrek has a great axe, not two hand axes.
[Image: PirateDOWO.jpg]

KISS MY AXE! while i drink my rum.
Good work Warlord in getting this article up and running again. Stickied!
Dogs of War 41-1-5 (Retired)
Tomb Kings 33-0-1 (Retired)

Uncharted Seas: Shroud Mages
Dystopian Wars: Prussian Empire
40K: Blood Angels & Imperial Guard

Check out my Blog at http://www.angelssanguine.blogspot.com

Goldswords
Leave them on the shelf
(06-25-2009, 09:34 AM)BilboBaggins Wrote: I like your ideas for Dogs of War conversions.

For Lumpin Croops you could try LOTR Hobbits. They are slightly smaller in scale to the Halflings in Warhammer but might work. Plus a blister has 4 Archers. You would then take a couple of Hobbit heros to convert to Lumpin and Ned. I would use Farmer Maggot for Ned (replace weapon with banner), Hobbits of the Shire for the Horn blower (maybe give the other two bows) and Bullroarer Took for Lumpin.

That is one way. I had another way, and I will put that together soonish (just need to get some time, and that has been VERY hard to come by this month)

(06-25-2009, 10:02 AM)Sultan Sadim Wrote: Great conversions. Looking forward to see them painted.

Eventually. But I will be assembling everything first before I paint a thing.

(06-25-2009, 06:06 PM)Dolganranger Wrote: ON the Human Light cavalry, what chest/torsos did you use?
This what im trying to do, You might remember me, I was Kislevraider before the site crashed.

Anyhow, my human army is a Half Kislev/Half Ostland army, with most all models having a militia or northerner feel to them, although Ive mixed some feathers and such in their also, to represent the southern part of ostland.
Im interested in this, very cool that you used goblin arms...I have a bunch of those!!!

The torsos are the ones on the marauder horsemen. The marauder horsemen legs and torsos are one piece, so it was just careful selection of torsos (I bought 2 boxes).

I look forward to you what you put together!

(06-25-2009, 06:49 PM)Kera Foehunter Wrote: Wow a butt naked Gotrek!!
where did you find the wheels for the canon Warlord ??

The wheels are from TK chariots. From a series of bits swaps, I used the TK chariot bodies and Elf chariot wheels as Elf chariots, and Elf chariot bodies on top of some elephants. So I therefore had TK chariot wheels in excess.

(06-25-2009, 08:03 PM)lord marcus Wrote: gotrek has a great axe, not two hand axes.

True. But GW don't make any other plastic slayers (anymore). If I get a backup of this model, I will attempt a conversion.

(06-25-2009, 08:22 PM)Slick Wrote: Good work Warlord in getting this article up and running again. Stickied!

No problem. Had this one backed up because I worked on the wording in Word before I posted. Unfortunately I don't think I have the theorized version backed up, but thats fine - most of it was on paper or in my head.
For Lumpin Croops', I think these guys fit the bill :

[Image: HM002.jpg]

Mirlitons' half men with bows.
I like, just need a Horn Blower and Standard, but they can be converted.
[Image: cdosig.gif]
[Image: SignatureEditor.jpg]

Keeper of the lost pdfs of Games Workshop.
Very good thread, and very good and clean conversions. I'm also a fan of building whole armies out of plastic! Thumps up!
Any tips on converting pikes? I.E: Empire state helbardiers with the top cut of and a spear attached?

Also, I use bret knights as knights, and 5.ed Glade guard as Light Cav. And marauders as marauders of course. Also, I use these guys as Golgfags ogres: http://www.sodemons.com/rhogres/rhgolgfags2.htm

Also, I'm making the coolest Mercenary general ever, by converting a Chaos Knight metal champ. Pics when finnished.
Well the state troopers come with both halberd and spear parts. Combining the two gets you a decent half-pike Smile, which would be pretty good or you can use brass rod to extend the spears into full pikes.

I used to use Bret Knights myself, its amazing how much better they to put together than the Empire ones i use now Undecided
By 5th edition Glade Guard i assume you mean Glade Riders?
Yes, glade riders, my misstake.
(06-25-2009, 06:06 PM)Dolganranger Wrote: ON the Human Light cavalry, what chest/torsos did you use?

Kislev foot troops (forgotten their name temporarily) can easily be represented in a similar manner. You need a spare set of bow arms and bow and quiver sets from the common goblin/wolfrider set, a box of marauders, a collection of spare Empire heads (I prefer militia and hairy heads), and assorted fur cloaks (optional).

1. File down the chaos star icons on the marauder torsos, and glue them to the legs and bases.
2. For the front rank wielding their axes, take the flail arms and trim off the chains. Cut the heads off the hand axes and glue these to the shafts of the flails. You now have a two handed axe. Glue this to the model, then take the bow and quiver set from the goblin set and glue this to the back of the model's crossbelt.
3. For the 'bowmen' making up the second and third rank, simply attach the goblin hand holding the bow. You can use either the goblin or marauder shield arm for the left. If you have any spare great weapons in your bitz box, glue these to the back of the model.
4. Finish the model off by adding your Empire heads, as well as any cloaks, accesories that you want to denote they're kislevites. You can even add little greenstuff moustaches and fur hats if you're feeling dedicated.
It was a case of two dogs playing on a hearth-rug. ... The sexual component of Septimus's war neurosis seems to confirm Freud's suggestion that war neuroses .
I just thought I add my takes on some of the units in the Dogs of War book.
Here goes:

[Image: Dogs%252520of%252520War%252520011.JPG]
Norse Marauders
Chaos Marauders plastic kit using the flail arms.
Snip of the flails and axe heads, and combine the staffs and axe heads.
Snip off the horns to lessen the 'chaotic' nature off the models.

[Image: Dogs%252520of%252520War%252520012.JPG]
Mercenary Dwarfs
Use the Dwarf Warrior plastic kit and add the biggest round shield you can find.
This way you get the most convincing shield-wall effect.
By using a bare shield you sort off cut of the link to the mountain holds and their rune shields.
Now you can add whatever you like to the shields.

[Image: Dogs%252520of%252520War%252520013.JPG]
Paymaster Bodyguard
Use the old metal Empire Halberdiers.
These have more armour to convincingly count as Heavy Armour.

[Image: Dogs%252520of%252520War%252520018.JPG]
Mercenary Cannon
Use the undercarriage from the old metal Empire Great Cannon.
Add the smooth 7-spoked wheels.
Add the upturned barrel from a dwarf cannon (do drill a new touchhole)
There you go: a light and easy to move cannon.
Hi mate,
Some great looking units you've got there. Feel free to start up your own log so people can see you make progress (and rather than posting in this topic, which is a bit dead!).

Also paint those units up! It'd be awesome to use them in our Dogs of War army book!
Yeah there's the problem...
I hate painting, so seeing them painted up will test your patience Smile

However seeing as someone would actually use the pic's for an armybook and having a friend open up a GW near me might just get me started...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [8-14-18] Willmark's Warband of Nippon- Dogs of War 2nd/3rd edition style Willmark 107 98,732 08-24-2018, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Willmark
  Millsy's Dogs of War - New Pics 19-04-14 Millsy 23 35,078 08-24-2017, 06:34 AM
  Dogs of War WIP Shane 12 16,760 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM
  Aldhick's Dogs of War Army Aldhick 25 36,932 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
  Melchior's Dogs of War/Empire fusion project WGMelchior 5 13,319 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Last Post: WGMelchior
  Timbor's Dogs of War Timbor 24 42,224 05-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Timbor
  Dogs of War macknight 14 24,047 05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Sharkbelly
Photo Tribun's Dogs of War reloaded Tribun 63 95,319 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sharkbelly
  Al Muktar's Desert Dogs DariusZero 14 23,719 06-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Last Post: DariusZero
  My "Count As" Dogs of War Army (Updated 29 Mar 10 - First tournament results) Chambo 9 14,491 03-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Chambo