My girlfriend wants me to teach her how to play warhammer!
Big Grin 
Like the title says my girlfriend wants me to teach her to play. Which is great :-D.
Here's where i need help however. What army do i give her to play with and what do i take against it?
I thought i'd start off with just 500pts and at the moment I've got access to high elves, dark elves, wood elves, empire and of course dogs of war.
I thought a seaguard themed high elf army might be best for her to learn the basics, while i take the dogs and probably let myself get shot to pieces ;-)
What do people think?
500 points is a great place to start, a few units to get the hang of the game. I do agree that empire or high elves would be the best for her to start out with. however, if you can let her pick the army, one that she like the looks of or likes the sound of it. as for the game part go easy on her but don't roll over, nobody likes a game given to them, just pull your punches alittle. Wink
Not ever Tale has a happy ending, that is why some are called Grimms.
~Jikoun Blackmane
When my wife learned she played O&G and I played Empire, but she also played Lizards and ended up starting an army of them too.

I'd suggest playing Empire (her) vs Dogs (you) under Flash rules (500 points) or no magic 1000 points for a game or two before going with magic.

The women in Warhammer I know (My wife, 2 friends and Kera) 2 are Lizardmen Players, 1 Plays Skaven and Kera I believe plays Pirates, Empire, Slayers and Chaos Dwarfs.
[Image: cdosig.gif]
[Image: SignatureEditor.jpg]

Keeper of the lost pdfs of Games Workshop.
Why don't you let her pick which models she likes best, and then make a couple BFSP-size armies to play with?
Former Dogs of War General from 5th Edition Fantasy Battles, now retired
Give her a very complex army, while you bring twice as many points in an Empire gunline. That'll fix the problem right quick...
(08-10-2009, 10:56 PM)Sharkbelly Wrote: Give her a very complex army, while you bring twice as many points in an Empire gunline. That'll fix the problem right quick...

Are you insane?

The object is to get them to like it so they will play, or in my case help paint my models, the game.

Keep the first few games small and simple and gradually bring in more complex rules and more points.

(08-10-2009, 11:04 PM)BilboBaggins Wrote:
(08-10-2009, 10:56 PM)Sharkbelly Wrote: Give her a very complex army, while you bring twice as many points in an Empire gunline. That'll fix the problem right quick...
Are you insane?
Crazy like a fox!

Maybe he doesn't want her to be nosing into his game.
Former Dogs of War General from 5th Edition Fantasy Battles, now retired
(08-10-2009, 11:27 PM)JohnHwangDW Wrote: Crazy like a fox!

From his first post he seems to be very happy with the possibility.

Of course hopefully nobody tries to steal her away.

(08-10-2009, 11:38 PM)BilboBaggins Wrote:
(08-10-2009, 11:27 PM)JohnHwangDW Wrote: Crazy like a fox!

From his first post he seems to be very happy with the possibility.

Of course hopefully nobody tries to steal her away.

Indeed i'm happy about it, its far better than having a someone who'd moan about me playing with toy soldiers Big Grin

I guess i'll let her have a look through the army books tonight then go from what she likes best and come up with some lists but i'll definalty rule out magic and maybe psychology to start with.
Totally, I think letting her nose through the books, find an army that she likes the look of, with fluff that she can get behind is half the battle.
[Image: tewksburybeforethebattlebanner.jpg]

Quote:Tribun Wrote:
Is it because we are all Pirates deep inside, or what's the reason every Thread ends in insults, confrontation and duelling??
(08-11-2009, 03:19 AM)Uryens de Crux Wrote: Totally, I think letting her nose through the books, find an army that she likes the look of, with fluff that she can get behind is half the battle.

I agree on this. My girlfriend started playing about a year ago. When she stated she wanted to start playing as well the first thing I did was taking her to our game day, letting her speak with al my gaming buddies to get a grip on what army has which kind of fluff. When she had enough of that I went into the shopping area of our gaming club and went trough the model boxes with her to see which she liked. She chose Lizardmen because of the models and fluff and has been happy with it ever since, even WHEN i win, which i have to admit is not often. (Darn Stegadons are hard when you play a full out combat Skaven army without shooting Tongue).

So to cut the story short. Let her pick the army. Play simple battles at first, introducing rules slowly and be gentle with it. (Just don't nag about a quarter of an inch or anything, instead give her the advantage in case of doubt.)

Grtz. Kiev
(08-11-2009, 09:35 AM)Kievien Wrote: So to cut the story short. Let her pick the army. Play simple battles at first, introducing rules slowly and be gentle with it. (Just don't nag about a quarter of an inch or anything, instead give her the advantage in case of doubt.)

Grtz. Kiev

Basically i need to remember how i was taught all those years ago Big Grin
I'm just kidding. Now, if she asks to start painting models for you to put in your army...
(08-11-2009, 11:03 AM)Maeglin Wrote:
(08-11-2009, 09:35 AM)Kievien Wrote: So to cut the story short. Let her pick the army. Play simple battles at first, introducing rules slowly and be gentle with it. (Just don't nag about a quarter of an inch or anything, instead give her the advantage in case of doubt.)

Grtz. Kiev
Basically i need to remember how i was taught all those years ago Big Grin

yep,plus if she is only doing this to either better understand or spend time with ya. its alittle easy to get new models when the miss don't bug ya about it. Wink
Not ever Tale has a happy ending, that is why some are called Grimms.
~Jikoun Blackmane
Or buys them for you.

My girlfriend (then, wife now) once said she'd learn to play Warhammer.

But, since I was far too proficient with the armies I possessed, she wanted something entirely different.

After some discussion we settled on lizardmen. Of course, I don't want to play with unpainted figs, she said.

So I said I'd paint them. 2000 points of lizzies. Each type in a different colour for clarity (move the skinks.. them little green dudes.. to protect the Slann... the orange toad...). I painted them all in 3-5 weeks' time, which is really fast for me. Later I found out she thought she was off the hook for 6 months, and when push came to shove, she didn't want to play anyway...

Well, I got another army out of it... Big Grin
(08-12-2009, 02:29 PM)warhammerlord_soth Wrote: Well, I got another army out of it... Big Grin

Easy to explain to your oponent as well. Big Grin

the orange thingy is my slann, the little green dudes are skinks Tongue
She's bought be some waywatchers before Smile

Anyhow she had a look at some of the army books today and it seems skaven, slaaneshi daemons and dwarfs (maybe slayers!) are possibilties at the moment.
(08-12-2009, 05:48 PM)Maeglin Wrote: She's bought be some waywatchers before Smile

Anyhow she had a look at some of the army books today and it seems skaven, slaaneshi daemons and dwarfs (maybe slayers!) are possibilties at the moment.

Skaven!!! Oops... I let that slip out there for sec Tongue It's the army I usually play with, but hey I'm still here to build myself a Dogs of War army, ey?

Grtz. Kiev
What can i say she likes rats! Tongue I've got a unit of clanrats, warlock engineer and an assassin so it i don't need too many more models to bring it up to 500pts, which i'd happily gift to her. Any suggestions for a list?

BTW have you built yourself some rat rider fast cav yet? Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warhammer World news, return of Realm of Chaos Willmark 0 1,084 01-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Willmark
  mr. mrs warhammer Kera Foehunter 10 9,225 01-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Kera Foehunter