Sharkbelly's Pirates Galore
Age of Sigmar has gotten me really excited to take some of the units that were formerly part of my pirate-themed Dogs of war army and build them into small fighting forces of their own. I'd like to chronicle that here.

However, first we need a nice setting for them to fight in. Here is the seaside village that I have been working on:

[Image: P1010240.jpg]

And here it a fort to protect it:

[Image: image.jpg1_zpsjgcbc4ij.jpg]
Great stuff dude! Mighty fortress FTW!
Thanks! I recently pick up this guy on ebay:

[Image: Mortar_zpsp7zh4f09.jpg]

Not sure if I'll add it to my siege equipment or build a bomb ship.
Hey that looks just like my one I made! Cheers!
This next entry is all about Sea Creatures:

A couple years back, I "borrowed" a Playmobil giant octopus from my kids. I cut it into pieces and glued them onto separate bases. I used contour putty to add some rippling water details.

[Image: DSC01871.jpg]
[Image: DSC01876.jpg]
[Image: DSC01879.jpg]

The finished piece turned out like this:

[Image: DSC01908.jpg]
[Image: DSC01909.jpg]

Now last summer, a buddy gave me an extra Kraken he got from the Reaper Bones kickstarter. I've since gotten a Forge World Merwyrm as well. (Did you know that they hunt Kraken?!)

[Image: Kraken_zpstvqnqvmz.jpg]
[Image: Merwyrm_zpsgsaoat1p.jpg]

The Merwyrm will be part of a small Lothern Sea Guard force. How should I base them? And what colors should I use to paint them?
That is a great use for that toy!

Awesome,, "Argh there be Kraken here matey's!"
Smart use of the playmobil kraken!

http://dogsofwaronline.com/forum/images/.../smile.gif

The Reaper Kraken is kick ass!! Unfortunately as with all kraken-esque moddels you'll probably have to cut it up.........
http://dogsofwaronline.com/forum/images/smilies/sad.gif

The merwyrm, has better options, you could make good use of the Original basing of the model which is submarine, but could be a low-tide edge of the surf theme. with this in mind you might want to consider either a deck theme or similar surf edge theme for the Lothern seaguards. Do you also have the sky cutters? They would look awesome with the eagle skimming the waves!

Just my two. cents.http://dogsofwaronline.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
What's up next Sharkbelly?
Well, I forgot to add these guys. They started off as a couple of units of mercenary ogres, and then blossomed into a full-fledged army. I've shared them here before, but I've made a few updates lately:

Sharkbelly and his ogre Pirates.

[Image: P1010577.jpg]

The group also includes a surgeon (counts as a butcher or slaughtermaster). I added a grot orderly to be his helper. Several editions ago, he would have been a sword gnoblar.

[Image: P1010659_zpsa2c02537.jpg]

The firepower for the group is provided by leadbelchers and a counts-as ironblaster.
[Image: imagejpg3_zpsb6144c6e.jpg]

Here is a closer look at the unit banner, with its gnoblar lookout.

[Image: P1010576.jpg]

The crew is made up of assorted scalawags, including a cook and a quartermaster. (Two of these have since joined the gunnery crew and one can double as a death wizard.)

[Image: P1010661_zps6d86ab0a.jpg]
[Image: P1010660_zps811e993d.jpg]

And a giant.

[Image: DSC00919.jpg]
[Image: DSC00918.jpg]

I am missing a picture of the ogre hunter, though. I used two of Orion's Hunting Hounds as sabretusks for him. I'll have to add a picture some time.
Okay, the Merwyrm is the final piece to a small Sea Guard army that I've been putting together. I've had an eye on these guys since the Storm of Chaos came out. While never large enough to be an army of their own, in Age of Sigmar I think it will make a tidy little 50-wound force. Here's how it all sorts out:

Sea Helm on Skycutter
18 Lothern Sea Guard
Mage w/ annulian crystal
Bolt Thrower (mine is actually converted from leftover bits from the skycutter)
Merwyrm (using the stats for a ghorgon)

Mine are all grey plastic right now, but I'm hoping to start painting them this summer.

[Image: Sea%20Guard_zpsvcokmhzu.jpg]
[Image: Bolt%20Thrower_zpsoxgfydf5.jpg]
[Image: Merwyrm_zpsfzjxunzf.jpg]
[Image: Skycutter_zpsdqx38whb.jpg]
[Image: Mage_zpsyr4lbo9e.jpg]

I've always liked the mage, and I think he fits the aesthetic of the rest of the group well.
(01-30-2016, 08:46 PM)Sharkbelly Wrote: Here is a closer look at the unit banner, with its gnoblar lookout.

[Image: P1010576.jpg]

While your whole army is cool. This banner is all kinds of awesome. Love the lookout part, very characterful.
Thank you! There's also a little rope/bone ladder on the back made from a goblin banner bit, but it does not show up here...
These scallywags need a few more pirate flags imo.
Sharkbelly- question: whats the physical dimensions of the Warhammer Mighty Fortress II you have there?
It's just under two feet square. The wall sections are about a foot long, and the towers are around 5 inches square. What's up? Thinking about adding one to your Nippon collection?
Next up are the dwarves... er, Duardin. Since the pirates started as a Dogs of War army, it of course had to include Slayer P irates. I tried to go the cheap route and convert them from thunderers, but the results just weren't that great. Finally, when GW released the White Dwarf Pirate, I had to go for the classic slayer pirates.

[Image: DSCN0359.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0358.jpg]

Also, there is a cannon and crew that goes with them.

It's around 25 wounds; half the size of most of my small pirate armies. I'd like to add some irondrakes, but not sure what else. I've heard rumors of some new Duardin automaton that is set to come our soon...
(02-07-2016, 09:03 AM)USharkbelly Wrote: It's just under two feet square. The wall sections are about a foot long, and the towers are around 5 inches square. What's up? Thinking about adding one to your Nippon collection?

No, more to get an idea about the size in relation to size of my Nippon castle.
(02-07-2016, 09:56 AM)Sharkbelly Wrote: Next up are the dwarves... er, Duardin. Since the pirates started as a Dogs of War army, it of course had to include Slayer P irates. I tried to go the cheap route and convert them from thunderers, but the results just weren't that great. Finally, when GW released the White Dwarf Pirate, I had to go for the classic slayer pirates.

[Image: DSCN0359.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0358.jpg]

Also, there is a cannon and crew that goes with them.

It's around 25 wounds; half the size of most of my small pirate armies. I'd like to add some irondrakes, but not sure what else. I've heard rumors of some new Duardin automaton that is set to come our soon...

Dude, your army is really, really cool!
Thanks! I forgot to add a picture of the liquor pony:

[Image: P1010475.jpg]

My plan is to eventually fill out the army with some ironbreakers and irondrakes to be the heavy marines of the force.

After that, I'd like to build a dwarf steamship using the old metal steam tank and one of these Games of War pirate ships.
My next entry is a great example of a small unit that is now growing into its own army. I picked up a box of the dark elf corsairs and Lokhir Fellheart to use as Manflayers in my Dogs of War pirates. (I probably would have picked up the Fleetmaster as well, except that he came out after I was doing painting these guys and had moved on...) Then I added the Kharybdiss when that came out, and a sorceress as well.

[Image: DSC00909.jpg]

The total army now looks like this:

Lokhir Fellheart
Dark Elf Sorceress
10 Corsairs
Kharybdiss and handlers

That's 32 wounds so far. They are all painted, although I seem to have gotten rather erratic with my photography last spring so I don't have pictures. I thought some river trolls would fit in well. (Corsairs like to take slaves, but anyone not fit for that job can be eaten by the trolls.)

[Image: DSC02740.jpg]

That leaves about five wounds or so left, so I plan to get some Harpies to add in too. I also like the idea of adding a chaos familiar for the sorceress, so I picked up this little guy.

[Image: familiar_chaos_imp.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sharkbelly's Forces Sharkbelly 20 15,991 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Sharkbelly
  Sharkbelly's Ogre Pirates (and one Ninja) Sharkbelly 53 42,738 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Sharkbelly
  Pirates of the Serpent Sea Blog Lucky Jack 14 17,042 05-21-2011, 05:00 AM
Last Post: mohan
  Kera pirates Kera Foehunter 90 67,240 10-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Last Post: Kera Foehunter