Warhammer: Norse Tribes - Wolfborn (New Norse Army Book)
While waiting for 9th edition (Age of Sigmar) and me finishing the End Time novels, I finished (well nearly) the new and shiny Norse Army Book. Still missing the End Times story (waiting on 9th and finishing the novels) and Content list and reference list, but a lot has been added.

The new Norse is called Wolfborn and is set after the End Times. This means it all new named characters, units, formations and a new way to build your army.

Beware, there are some blank pages in the End Times saga due not being finished yet, but all rules are done and ready to be played.

Grim S.

LINK: http://docdro.id/13whl
Okey, here is my first unit of the Northern Tribes - The Apparition of Cadavers. I thought I'd start big Tongue

This thing is in line with the new direction GW is taking their armylists (a direction I have no strong opinion about), and it needed to for fill some credentials:
- a monsters which has never been done before, or at least be unique to a degree.
- a monster which suited a raiding Norse army
- a monster of the sea without being a sea-creature, like the Kraken for example.
- No ward save, regeneration or armour save

Here is what I got (remember this is a rough draft)

RARE Choice

Point Cost: 225-300 points (needs to be play-tested first)

APPARITION OF CADAVERS, Avatar of the Mermedus, Eater of Ships
Apparition of Cadavers is a gigantic monster of bloated corpses from the deepest seabed that radiates foul stenches of the dead, diseases spout from its boils and mouth as it rumbles forward on the command of the dark Norse magics. The Norse calls it “The Draugmare”.

Along the rocky northern coast, the various Norse tribes have holy ritual sites where they make human sacrifices to their God of the sea, Mermedus, to gain safe waters for their raider warriors and other seamen of the Norse. These sacrifices are usually made out of thralls and an occasionally Norse coward, which the Norse calls a niding. When a Norse raiding party is about to spread their pollution of pillaging and murder, the Norse Shamans use their magics to summon the dreaded Avatar of Mermedus – the Apparition of Cadavers. As the unholy magic manifests itself into a Draugir, the creature attaches itself to sacrificed drowned corpses on the seabed and feeds the still remaining earthly essence from the dead body. Out of the waters bursts a gigantic monstrous slug made of cadavers with a daemonic head and arms.

As the Dragonships set out for murder and new flesh, the Apparition follows the Norse, untiring, from below the waves until it is commanded by its masters. The Norse Shamans are known to let the Apparition of Cadavers feed on small villages along the foreign coasts - this is usually done to settle wages and for pure entertainment, but also to let the creature feed to gain size and power.

M-5 WS-4 BS-0 S-6 T-7 W-5 I-2 A-5 Ld-10

Special Rules:
Terror, Body of Bloated Corpses, Stubborn, Poisonous Attacks & Continuous Manifestation

Body of Bloated Corpses
The Apparition of Cadavers is a monster made out of disease infested dead bodies from sacrificed thralls of the Norse. When enemies are brave enough to face the Apparition and slash their weapons in hopes of killing it, venomous liquids spurt out of the cadavers spreading death and sickness upon the assailer.

For every wound caused to the Apparition in close combat, an enemy unit in base contact are struck by D3 automatic strength 2 hits – these automatic hits also benefits from the Apparition of Cadaver’s poisonous attack special rule.

Continuous Manifestation
The Apparition grows in size and strength as it feeds and gain more corpses to attach to its hideous slug-like mass.

For every model killed by the Apparition of Cadavers in close combat with its normal attacks (no automatic hits like Thunderstomp and Body of Bloated Corpses), it gains one wound to its profile, up to a maximum of 10 wounds.

In addition, as it gains more wounds the Apparition of Cadavers gain new powers as the souls and life essence are absorbed into its core. These new powers can only be gained once.

6-7 Wounds
Blood, water and acid boils together onto a poisonous vomit of annihilation.

The Apparition gains a strength 3 Breath attack.

8-9 Wounds
As the essence of the Apparition grows in power, the chaotic pollution becomes even more venomous.

The strength of the automatic hits from the Body of Bloated Corpses special rules becomes strength 4 instead of the normal strength 2.

10 Wounds
The draug-spirit of the Apparition is satisfied for now, but its hunger is transformed into pure rage and lust for destruction.

The Apparition of Cadavers gains the Hatred special rule.
If the corpse-thing loses wounds, does it lose the powers associated with them? And if so, can it get it back?
I'm currently a knight, but someday I have dreams of advancing to Asarnil Dragonlord.

Not a Bretonnian knight, though. I want to be one of those cool Arabyan Mamluks.
(03-12-2011, 10:54 PM)NewGuy Wrote: If the corpse-thing loses wounds, does it lose the powers associated with them? And if so, can it get it back?

As it is now, yes it loses it powers and cannot get them back. But, its just a rough draft of an idea, so it might be changed. What do you think?
It seems unfair to me. Either make it so it keeps the abilities, or let it get them back (my favorite.)

Dangit, man, now I have to make a model for this. I think I have a bunch of bodies lying around, and I always have greenstuff...
I'm currently a knight, but someday I have dreams of advancing to Asarnil Dragonlord.

Not a Bretonnian knight, though. I want to be one of those cool Arabyan Mamluks.
I think that, while it has some nice ideas, this list doesn't have enough to stand out on his own. I mean, you said it yourself, you need fresh ideas because the most archetypal ones have already been used in the Southern list.
Norse are more or less a sub-army to WoC, and this sound like a sub-army to the Norse. Most Norse/Viking culture references have as said already been filled in elsewhere, and as such the Northern tribes would be left with nothing more than a monster heavy chaos army with marauders.
I'm not saying you shouldn't do the list, just saying that you might be grasping at a little too much with a subject that does not have enough substance to feed it. Still, wish you good luck on the project, should I come up with something I'll let you know. You might want to check out movies like "Pathfinder" or "Valhalla Rising", they could give you some ideas for more feral Norse (although Pathfinder as a movie sucks).
(03-13-2011, 06:45 PM)NewGuy Wrote: It seems unfair to me. Either make it so it keeps the abilities, or let it get them back (my favorite.)

Dangit, man, now I have to make a model for this. I think I have a bunch of bodies lying around, and I always have greenstuff...

If you model it, you HAVE to post a picture of it Smile

I do agree that letting the Apparition get its abilities back seems like the best and most fun solution. It already have its clear drawbacks, no need for another one, in my opinion.

(03-14-2011, 08:39 AM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: I think that, while it has some nice ideas, this list doesn't have enough to stand out on his own. I mean, you said it yourself, you need fresh ideas because the most archetypal ones have already been used in the Southern list.
Norse are more or less a sub-army to WoC, and this sound like a sub-army to the Norse. Most Norse/Viking culture references have as said already been filled in elsewhere, and as such the Northern tribes would be left with nothing more than a monster heavy chaos army with marauders.
I'm not saying you shouldn't do the list, just saying that you might be grasping at a little too much with a subject that does not have enough substance to feed it. Still, wish you good luck on the project, should I come up with something I'll let you know. You might want to check out movies like "Pathfinder" or "Valhalla Rising", they could give you some ideas for more feral Norse (although Pathfinder as a movie sucks).

Now now, don't be so pessimistic Wink You are of course correct; I am really challenging myself with this project. I have very little outside influence to use, almost all fluff have to be done from scratch ,and the army need to be different compared to WoC and the Southern Tribes. To be honest, I don't want a arch-typical Norse army, I want a fresh and different type of Norse.
I don't agree with Norse being a sub-army for WoC, at least not anymore. The Chaos Marauders in WoC only refers to them as Men of the North, which can range from Norse, Kurgan and even Hung - to my understanding Smile

Hoping you get some ideas soon hehe. I will be hopefully posting the Thrallmaster + one of his underling units today.

P.S I have sadly seen both those movies, and they are both very bad in very different ways Smile

What do you see this as looking like? My personal concept is of a mound of grey flesh, with a gaping maw in the center, skeletal arms lining it like teeth, and an occasional head, arm or body sticking out where it hasn't yet been fully digested.

Yeah, something along those (disgusting) lines hehe.. I'm picturing its hide and corpses meshing together, like bodies half buried in mud (mud being the hide). Maybe one of the Apparitions arms(tentacle?) coming out from its hide to grab, or already grabbing, a newly dead body to pull into its core?
Maybe not entirely dead...

hehe Poor guy... Oh well, he wont die in vain as he is liquidized and turned into a smelly breath attack. too far? Big Grin
I've got a load of spare Dryad parts lying around to use in the "mouth", and a few dead guys to show being pulled into the monster- and the terrified guy from the Giant, to be pulled by a protuberance of the creature into the body of the beast.

@NewGuy
I am really looking forward to hopefully seeing the model sometime in the future Smile

Update time:

Lord Choice (may be upgraded to Battle Standard Bearer +25 pts)

Point Cost: 300-350 (may not be the army general)

HAG MOTHER, The last Seer-hags of the ancient Seidar.
Unlike the women from the southern parts Norsca, the womenfolk in the three northern tribes have lost their Seidar powers. Hundreds of years have gone by without any Spákona of the Seidar magics having emerged from the ranks, and the few remaining witches of this ancient craft have nearly lost their arcane abilities. Why has the Seidar left their people?

Another vexing concern that have appeared as a side effect of the Seidar leaving, is the life-essence this magic bestow upon the witches, is also vanishing. Their virtue of prolonged life is dissolving as the lingering snow under the warmth of the summer sun.
The Hag Mothers have now begun finding new ways of maintaining their lives; thousands of thralls are sacrificed to their ruinous gods, some bathes in fresh human blood, others sell their souls to any daemonic deity that will have them – these are witches that abandon their deity and embrace a new one. But those true to the Seidar ways builds religious constructs, usually a throne, to bind their remaining essence to them; the Norse call these constructs a Coven. On these Covens the Hag Mothers are still physically weak, but they have managed to maintain what little life-force they have left. If a Hag Mother should ever leave their Covens, they will start to visibly wither and die shortly after.

When the Norse brings a Hag Mother to battle, she is mounted on her Coven throne with her underlings carrying her circled seat. From her Coven, she summons clouds of crows to mutilate her enemies, her still lingering magic and ancient crafts befouls those who come to close. She is an iconic figure, a mother to them all, which they will never abandon and will protect to the very last man.

Hag Mother: M-0, WS-3, BS-3, S-3, T-3, W-3, I-3, A-*, Ld-8

.....Bearers: M-4, WS-*, BS-3, S-*, T-*, W-*, I-*, A-8, Ld-*

.......Coven: M-0, WS-0, BS-0, S-0, T-6, W-6, I-0, A-0, Ld-*

Special Rules:
Norse Fury, the Coven, Black-Feathered Maelstrom & Dying Deity

Dying Deity
The olden arts of the Seidar are leaving the folk of the Northern Tribes, where they have abandoned the ancients’ ways and embraced the ruinous powers.

All Hag Mothers are a level 1 Wizard and cannot be upgraded. In addition, when they roll for their spell, they only roll a D3 instead of the normal D6. They can however still trade any random rolled spell for the signature spell of the chosen lore.

Black-Feathered Maelstrom
The Hag performs an old art of the Seidar ways, commanding the eaters of the dead to pluck the eyes of the living.

Once per shooting phase, the Hag Mother can direct her crow underlings to attack any unit within 24”. Place the small round template anywhere within range and roll to scatter, like a normal stone thrower. Any model hit by the template suffers a strength 3 hit. On a misfire nothing happens, except the Hag fails to command the crows.

Name-------------Range-----Strength-----Special Rules
Black-Feathered......24"..............3............none
Maelstrom

The Coven
On top of a circular platform sit the Hag Mother upon her throne with a grin of devilry. Beneath her Coven, the warrior bearers slash through enemies in her honour.

As long as the Hag Mother is still alive, any unit joined by the Coven of the Hag Mother becomes Unbreakable, describes on page 78 in the Warhammer rulebook. If the Hag Mother is dead but the Coven still isn't destroyed, the unit lose their Unbreakable special rule and becomes Stubborn. If both the Hag and the Coven is destroyed, the unit lose all their benefits of being joined by the Hag Mother and the Coven.

The Coven bestows a 4+ ward save both upon itself and the Hag Mother. In addition, it also has Magic Resistance (2).

Moving the Coven
The Coven must be deployed in a unit of Norse Raiders, Varg Berserkers or Ravensworn. Place the Coven in the front of its unit, as centrally as possible. In addition, the following rules apply:

1. The unit joined by the Coven lose their Barbaric Charge special rule.

2. The unit is unable to perform a swift reform, described in the Warhammer rulebook page 95.

Shooting at the Coven
An enemy can choose to target either the unit joined by the Coven or the Coven itself. Hits against the unit are resolved as normal, but hits against the Coven are randomized – hitting the Coven on 1-5, and the Hag Mother on a 6.

The Coven in Combat
Any attack directed towards the Hag Mother will suffer from an old and ill-fallen curse of wretched pain in both joints and limbs - any model attacking the Hag Mother will do so with a Weapon Skill of 1. Enemy models only in base contact with the Coven can still direct their attacks on the unit carrying the Coven if they wish.

The Hag Mother is so physically weak that she cannot perform any attacks in combat, but the essence of her very being mentally lash out at who ever she gaze upon. When it is the Hag Mothers turn to attack in the close combat phase, roll a D6 and consult the table below:

1-2: The Hag’s gaze strikes such a mental pain into the opponent mind that some falls dead to the ground. To resolve the attack, roll 2D6+2. For each point by which the roll beats the targets leadership, the target unit suffers 1 wound with no armour saves allowed. Wounds are distributed as shooting.

3-4: The life of the enemies close to the Coven starts to wither away. Any enemy model in base contact with the Coven must immediately take a Toughness test. Any enemy model who fails this test suffers a wound with no armour save.

5-6: The Hag opens her mouth to let out raw Seidar energy; the fumes seem to suffocate its victims. One unit in base contact suffers 2D6 automatic strength 1 hits with no armour save. Wounds are distributed as shooting.

*All hits from the Hag Mother in close Combat are considered to be magical.

The different sized base of the Coven means some extrapolation must be done to work out the rank bonus. Count the model as the same number of Norse that would normally occupy that space (usually 9).

The Bearers of the Coven have the same Weapon Skill, Strength and Initiative as the models in the unit they joined and are always considered to be striking with normal hand weapons.

Just reread your first post. Don't do the thing GW has done with the magic items, they essentially gutted the magic items section of the Orcs and Goblins. If you want to cut down on the number of magic items, at least make them somewhat useful- all of the new Orcs and Goblins ones are far too overpriced for their purposes. Case in point- last edition the Skull wand cost 40 points. GW just took it and bumped it up 35 without seriously improving the effects. The old cheap useful items are all gone, the only ones that remain are "flavor."

/rant

By the way, I can't seem to be able to download the old book- can you forward me a copy?

(03-15-2011, 03:31 PM)NewGuy Wrote: Just reread your first post. Don't do the thing GW has done with the magic items, they essentially gutted the magic items section of the Orcs and Goblins. If you want to cut down on the number of magic items, at least make them somewhat useful- all of the new Orcs and Goblins ones are far too overpriced for their purposes. Case in point- last edition the Skull wand cost 40 points. GW just took it and bumped it up 35 without seriously improving the effects. The old cheap useful items are all gone, the only ones that remain are "flavor."

/rant

No worries. It will be more or less the same magic items my current book contain, only divided between two armies.

(03-15-2011, 03:31 PM)NewGuy Wrote: By the way, I can't seem to be able to download the old book- can you forward me a copy?

Sure thing. If you want it through email, just pm me your email address. If not, just tell me where to upload it...
I'm reading through your old Norse book, and I just want to make one nitpick- on page 29 you refer to the additional limbs the Volva can attach as "appendixes." This should be "appendages". An appendix is a questionably useful internal organ, that is frequently removed at a young age. :p

(03-16-2011, 02:33 PM)NewGuy Wrote: I'm reading through your old Norse book, and I just want to make one nitpick- on page 29 you refer to the additional limbs the Volva can attach as "appendixes." This should be "appendages". An appendix is a questionably useful internal organ, that is frequently removed at a young age. :p

HAHA that is a funny mistake Big Grin Thanks, will be fixed shortly! Blush

Fixed and updated.
Update nr.3

This time I thought I'd do the most basic Norse unit of the list - the Norse Raiders. Any change suggestions and feedback are welcomed.

CORE unit

Equipment: Fur Mantle, Hand weapons and Shields

Options: Light Armour (+1 pts), Spears (free), or Swap their shields for Great Weapons (+1), or Additional Hand weapons (free)

Point Cost: 6

NORSE RAIDERS
The Norse Raiders share many similarities with the Norse Reavers of the Southern Tribes, but where Reavers would raid a village, they would leave the sacked village with most of their inhabitant alive; villages, towns and temples pillaged by the Norse Raiders, are left behind butchered to the last man.

Although the Reavers and Raiders are easily distinctive for the Norse, it is not the same for foreigners. Because of this confusion, the Southern Norse are blamed for most of the raids done to the neighbouring countries – The Norse Raiders revel by the problem they cause their southern kin, which unwillingly act as a buffer state for their Northern brothers.

The Norse Raiders are probably the most vicious and brutal seafarers of the known world of Warhammer, a title only challenged by the Dark Elf Corsairs. On their Dragonships they can crawl up shallow rivers where no other warships can go. Up alongside these rivers are towns and villages who believe they are safe from murdering plunderers. But, as the morning mist snake up the waters, the Dragonships, which lay hidden in the mist, fall upon the heedless village with an unmerciful onslaught without any chance of escaping their unfortunately fate. Those who are viewed as strong enough to work or fight, are spared and loaded onto their large Slave-ships – the Fleshreapers.

Norse Raider M-4 WS-4 BS-3 S-3 T-3 W-1 I-4 A-1 Ld-7

Special Rules
Barbaric Charge, Norse Fury & Out of the Ocean Mist

Out of the Ocean Mist
Norse Raiders are notorious for coming hidden in the morning sea mist and carry out lightning speed attacks on coastal villages and towns; it is as the mist follows them wherever they sail. Any army force which has included least one unit of Norse Raiders, can add an additional +1 to their dice roll when rolling off to see who gets the first turn.

Thats it for now Smile

They seem rather cheap, just 6 pts for a model with basically the same equipment and stats as an empire swordsman, but they get barbaric charge, norse fury, ocean mist and optional spears/hand weapons for free. Have you playtested these guys to make sure they aren't too good in comparison with other armies. I could see them being slightly cheaper if the army lacks in other areas like shooting or cavalry, but with all these rules they should really be between 8-10 pts.
(03-18-2011, 12:47 PM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: They seem rather cheap, just 6 pts for a model with basically the same equipment and stats as an empire swordsman, but they get barbaric charge, norse fury, ocean mist and optional spears/hand weapons for free. Have you playtested these guys to make sure they aren't too good in comparison with other armies. I could see them being slightly cheaper if the army lacks in other areas like shooting or cavalry, but with all these rules they should really be between 8-10 pts.

The points cost is not set in stone, but 8 to 10 is too much, I think. They are basically just norse marauders with shields and light armour. They lose re-roll panic, but gain d3 attacks per fighting rank (usually 2d3) and swiftstrider on charges (out of the mist cost is being spread out in the character costs to maintain an internal balance).

This army is going to lack in shooting and have no heavy cavalry (I am considering light/medium cavalry with Norse riding wolves).

I set 6 points with 7 in mind because I always find it easier to raise the points to unit when play-testing. Compared to the Norse Reavers in my current Norse book, 6 pts seems to be the right price.

They get additional hand weapon for free because they give up their shields, and Spears because they give up their ability to use their hand weapons. (Shield and Additional hand weapon= same prize and Pure switch of special rules: Parry for Fight in Extra Ranks)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gnome Army List GorillaGorillaGorilla 3 9,921 10-18-2016, 01:49 AM
Last Post: caz88888
  Warhammer Armies - Kingdoms of Ind M4cR1II3n 83 113,600 11-08-2013, 05:15 AM
Last Post: M4cR1II3n
  Warhammer: Pirates of Sartosa M4cR1II3n 0 4,309 08-10-2013, 07:32 AM
  Warhammer Armies - Amazons M4cR1II3n 42 63,294 08-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Rhomdruil
  Warhammer Armies - Norse (version 1.0 up now!) M4cR1II3n 78 105,221 05-12-2013, 12:29 PM
  Warhammer Armies - Estalia (M4cR1II3n's version) M4cR1II3n 63 95,523 05-06-2013, 12:15 AM
  Cathay WIP Army Book M4cR1II3n 73 94,726 04-12-2013, 07:40 PM
  Warhammer: Cult of Ulric M4cR1II3n 15 23,667 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM
  Warhammer: Chaos Dwarfs M4cR1II3n 1 5,961 03-05-2013, 09:42 PM
  Kislev Updated Army List M4cR1II3n 137 181,135 02-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Last Post: RageofAeons