Regiment of Renown Contest
[Image: rulescontest1.jpg]

Hello everyone and welcome to Dogs of War Online's First non-Painting Contest. We call this the Artisan's Contest over at Chaos Dwarfs Online, but I've yet to come up with a good name so suggestions are welcome

What to enter?
The theme for this contest is to create a Regiment of Renown. Unlike the ones that have run on CDO this one is an open contest and can be any regiment or unit of mercenaries that your heart desires!

Regiments of Renown can be almost anything under the sun from a unit a group of two characters, to anything in between. The cool thing is that there really is no limit to this, only your own imagination. It is important to note that you'll want to give due consideration to your entry (see below).

Deadline
The deadline for the submission of entries is Saturday, April, 30 11:59pm EST. (NOTE: This question comes up: why this time? 1) its my website Wink 2) The server for Dogs of War Online is in the Eastern Timezone).

To submit your entry please send it into the following gmail account: dogsofwaronline1 @ g mail.com

Rules of the Competition
Each member of the forum may only enter once and you must be registered on Dogs of War Online. Why? Because we are running the contest! Plus we have gold and booty, were mercs after all!

In order to prevent the most outrageous of entries you will need to follow the rules as outlined below. If you do not the entry will not be accepted

You MUST have the following per entry:
1. You must state the classification of the unit, which must be one of the following: Infantry, Monstrous Infantry, Cavalry, Monstrous Cavalry or War Beast. You cannot have mixed units.

2. You must state which slot it falls into; Core, Special or Rare in a the Dogs of War 6th Edition PDF list. NOTE: this is more for familiarity as not everyone might be familiar with the new army book created by the team here. However that being said there is nothing to say that your unit couldn't be a unit of mercenary elves or halflings or what have you.

3. The unit must conform to the typical minimum unit size for each classification:

Infantry (core for Dogs of War army): 10+
Infantry (special or rare for Dogs of War army): 5+
Cavalry: 5+
Monstrous Infantry: 3+
Monstrous Cavalry: 3+
War Beasts: 5+

Obviously if you want to state a maximum that's up to you.

4. Basic points cost for the minimum unit size (the base cost before all upgrades or options) must be included. This includes any named champions.

5. Basic Points cost for any additional models.

6. The cost for upgrading command models. A named champion should be included in the basic points total in point 4 above and not as an upgrade. If you have a named musician or standard bearer you can include them either in the basic total in point 4 above or as an upgrade.

7. A profile for everything in the unit including mounts if there are any. This must follow the GW format. M WS BS S T W I A Ld etc

8. If the unit is armed with a missile or combat weapon that is not a weapon type in the 8th Edition Warhammer rulebook, the rules for this must be described.

9. If the unit have any special rules that are not in the 8th Edition Warhammer rulebook, the rules for this must be described.

Optional things
You may include 0 - 3 Optional unit upgrades (aka ‘Options’) per entry. These cannot be for a named champion (it is assumed that his weapons/ equipment are already stated and cannot be upgraded, a regular un-named champion will obviously need to be included as usual) and must each have a points cost. For example, a shield, heavy armor, or a pistol. A magic banner is not a unit upgrade (it's a standard bearer one) and would not take one of these 3 options. You can include a specific magic banner if you want, made up or not, however, you may not include a general points allowance for the unit to have a magic banner (as RoR don't do this afaik).

You can include a named champion for your regiment. They may have an additional wound and not count as a hero.

You cannot include lord or hero level characters (or special characters), or anything with more than 1 wound over the basic unit type.

Background:
The background part is optional, but I suggest you include something as everyone else probably will.

There is a 1,000 maximum word limit on this. This doesn't include any rules descriptions (e.g. what the 'Iron Will' rule is). Though fluff descriptions of things like magic banners etc, or the fluff behind rules will be included in this total.

Additional Information
  • 2,000 maximum word limit
  • NO ART OR MODEL PHOTOS are allowed
  • Spelling, punctuation and grammar will not be corrected. My advice is to have someone else look over your entry as noted we will not be correcting any mistakes. Only send your entry in once you are satisfied with your work.
  • * Do not post your rules for your Regiment of Renown until after the contest is over.
  • Likewise please refrain from identifying your entry in the voting thread once it is posted.

How will this be judged?
Once all the entries are in at the end of April a poll will be created with all of the entries in it. You'll download and read the rules and read them. For criteria as to which should win that is up to you. In any event you'll send your PM into the Golden Pike Account and we'll tabulate the winner(s). If there are 10 or more entries we will award silver and bronze medals in addition to the gold medal.

Judging a competition with a rules element is unlike any other sort of judging, it requires people to use both common sense and their gaming knowledge and experience to find the strengths and weaknesses of every entry.

To help people with this we have designed a list of categories that people could use to help them decide. You are not required to use this list at all.
  • Use of Language (is it professionally written?)
  • Playability (are the rules streamlined?)
  • Balance (are the rules and points fair and do they adhere to typical GW design?)
  • Fun (do the rules make for a fun experience?)
  • Lore (are the rules fluffy and do they fit the character of the Dogs of War?)

(Note special thanks to my buddy Grimstonefire over at Chaos Dwarfs Online for doing almost all of the hard-work for the thread... EDIT: Hey wait I originally set it up he just changed it! Wink

Here are some links to the how the contest has run previously:
http://chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6911
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=7029
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showth...p?tid=8553

Also attached is a word file to download if you want a rough idea of how the rules should be formatted. Feel free to submit in another form if this is not usable for your entry as this was mainly for artillery...

If there are any questions before the sending in your submission please let me know. I'm sure there will be something I didn't think of so please post if you have any questions.

Willmark

Attached Files
.doc   List.doc (Size: 39 KB / Downloads: 26)
We need to fit the character of the Chaos Dwarfs? Is that just an artifact from an earlier CD version?
I'm currently a knight, but someday I have dreams of advancing to Asarnil Dragonlord.

Not a Bretonnian knight, though. I want to be one of those cool Arabyan Mamluks.
errrg yep Wink
EDIT All set now... have some gold for spotting it.
I think I can get in on this... I have some fun ideas whirling in my head on this.
Bit confused about the restriction on the named Champions - pretty much all of the 'official' Regiments of Renown have a named champion with hero-level stats. Should this be replicated in the entries? Or is this an artefact from the CDO competitions?

Also the existing ROR don't have options beyond 'add more guys' so am not sure why this is mentioned.

Regardless, am looking forward to this competition Smile
This is mainly for the sake of completeness more then anything else.
Just looking for some clarification on unit size. You said at the start:

Quote:Regiments of Renown can be almost anything under the sun from a unit a group of two characters, to anything in between.

But then further down:

Quote:3. The unit must conform to the typical minimum unit size for each classification:

Infantry (core for Dogs of War army): 10+
Infantry (special or rare for Dogs of War army): 5+
Cavalry: 5+
Monstrous Infantry: 3+
Monstrous Cavalry: 3+
War Beasts: 5+

So, I assume if I want to make an entry a la "Johann and Wilhelm the witch hunters" I can still do that, since you mentioned that at the start, despite the mention of a small unit of characters in the unit size?
You could do a Johann and Wilhelm type unit if you wish.
How shall I send the doc-file to Goldenpike and could anyone (perhaps an admin) read over it, because I'm not a native speaker?
ermmm great question... I'll have to have these sent to a email account. Stay tuned while I conjure up a gmail account.
Also folks I have created Gold, Silver and Bronze medals if we get more then ten entries then we will be awarding them.

*needs to devote some time to his entry*
I wonder is I should enter, since I never seem to win.
Plus many of my funnier ones have already been published (Knights of the Moot, Dawg Riders).
[Image: cdosig.gif]
[Image: SignatureEditor.jpg]

Keeper of the lost pdfs of Games Workshop.
Hey if we get enough you could win a bronze or silver medal... just saying.
Send in emails to dogsofwaronline1 @ g mail.com for all entries.

(Combine it all so it doesn't get spammed) Wink
Booyah my entry is done, now I need to refine it a bit.
Mines done, too!
I think i might be able to find time to pop out another RoR. Considering i have been updating the ones that had been updated before GW updated Warhammer and i'm now all confused Huh Tongue
This is my Admin voice, when i use it i am invoking the power of the great Moderating Lords. Learn to fear it mortals!
Hell if I can make up one you sure can Wink
Thats not the problem.
It's the stopping.
In fact while i've written this i've come up with another idea!!!!
This is my Admin voice, when i use it i am invoking the power of the great Moderating Lords. Learn to fear it mortals!
Almost done tweaking my entry for this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regiment of Renown Contest- Voting Thread Willmark 17 19,187 10-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Willmark
  Create a Regiment of Renown Competition- Feedback. Baumann 53 49,039 02-28-2011, 01:11 PM
  Golden Pike V Painting Contest Voting Willmark 6 7,559 11-28-2010, 09:15 PM
  Golden Pike V Painting Contest! Willmark 30 31,105 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Tribun
  Golden Pike IV Painting Contest Voting Willmark 23 21,405 06-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Border Reiver
  Golden Pike IV Painting Contest! Willmark 64 53,100 06-06-2010, 08:03 PM
  Golden Pike III Painting Contest Willmark 53 42,687 12-22-2009, 02:32 PM
  Golden Pike II Painting Contest Willmark 38 30,083 09-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Last Post: AGPO