[8-14-18] Willmark's Warband of Nippon- Dogs of War 2nd/3rd edition style
(10-27-2017, 07:24 AM)Willmark Wrote: Update #24
I've been working away,
And it is looking really good.

(10-27-2017, 07:24 AM)Willmark Wrote: Update #24
[...snip...]
As you can see in the background I have to straighten out the roof line of the main part of the castle. I've been meaning to do it put I am still debating the best way to do it.
I had to zoom up to see it. My first thought was, "but it is a Japanese castle, the roof is supposed to curve a bit. What's to straighten?"  And then I saw the wave. Not supposed to be waves in the timber...

It looks like a piece of chip board cladding. [?]
What means have you considered for fixing it?
(10-28-2017, 12:55 PM)Tertius Wrote: What means have you considered for fixing it?

The answer turned out to be easier then I thought. I'm using basswood to make a "bottom" frame for the roof. It will be a bit of work and I should have done it when I first started on this project a few years back but it is what it is. I think once I've added the wood to brace the roof it should straighten out.
Update #25
Its Nippon Castle madness time again! Work continues apace! Here is where the castle stands as of about 5 days ago:
[Image: nippon_castle26.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle24.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle25.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle23.jpg]

The basics of the outer walls are complete here as is the inner walkway (which I completed a few nights later.) I spent a lot of time on the gatehouse and it shows I believe. The floor can be pulled out and the roof is likewise detachable.

Here is where the castle stands as of tonight's work. It doesn’t look like I did much in a week, but I spent a lot of timing straightening the roof lines, strengthening the roof itself and worked on the gatehouse and outer walls too. As you can se there has been a lot of work on the gatehouse below along with the postern gate to the side. 

[Image: nippon_castle27.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle28.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle29.jpg]

In all still having a lot of fun working on this, but still a long ways to go. I'm now pleased with the straightened out roof lines and roofs themselves. The outer walls will be a lot of work, but I did complete one of the corner sections which was a cause of concern in terms of how it would come together.
So no corner Towers as such..?
Just a sort of beveled corner, four places.
There will be, just not yet. While watching football I was sketching out the bases. That sounds weird but the towers are not the difficult part. Where it abuts to the base board from the castle is.

I spent the weekend working on the outer walls and am now close to completing.
Update #26
Work continues apace on the castle of my warlord/damiyo/mercenary leader. The first batch of photos shows the work I accomplished last week. I managed to complete more of the straightening and reinforcing of the roof structure. The first pictures documents me getting really close to finishing the outer walls.
[Image: nippon_castle30.jpg]

As you can see in this one, only one more corner section to go!
[Image: nippon_castle31.jpg]

The postern gate. This came out really well by my estimation. It was bit "taller" than I wanted but considering that it is a Asian-inspired type of architecture I let it go. I'll need to get some close ups of the gate/door as it fits near perfectly.
[Image: nippon_castle32.jpg]

At last the final corner section complete! Uniformity of all the outer walls for the win.
[Image: nippon_castle33.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle34.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle35.jpg]

A close-up of one of the corner sections. I thought these were going to be difficult to do, turns out they were fairly easy if you take your time, measure twice and cut once...
[Image: nippon_castle36.jpg]

Here it is, the first of the corner towers underway. If going slow on terrain taught me anything its certainly magnified here. The base structure is foam core board which I used a piece of paper first to get the right shape to snug up to the existing walls. From there I made sloping walls to the tower. I measured out the height I wanted and then cut each one slightly bigger to be safe. From there I used masking tape to hold the walls and top together while I cut the next sections. From there more masking tape and glue and done.

From there it was repeating the work I've done on the walls but with some slight angles which were a bit trickier.

[Image: nippon_castle37.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle38.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle39.jpg]

Since these photos I've done a bit more but more but I am happy with the progress thus far. I'm still sketching out how I want the tops of the tower to look but I do know they will be removable like the roof for the main tower.

Along with the corner towers I'm deciding on some extra walls of varying lengths as well as more ornamentation for the main keep (Tenshukaku in Japanese). The castle this is based on Kakegawa is not heavily ornamented, however I do realize this is the Warhammer world and I don't have to follow a actual castle verbatim. We'll see what comes of this.

As a bonus here is a picture of a battering ram I've been revamping when I'm waiting for the castle sections to dry. Its from 1991 when Jeff, Dave and I were playing Warhammer Siege for 3rd Edition. As you can see its been heavily modified. The brownish painted part is the only original parts to it. I revamped the wheels, the roof, the ram and started adding random bits to it as I went. The whole structure was done fairly well but the inner bracing were all a bit off; apparently my angles and measuring weren't so great 25+ years ago.

The wheels are two balsa wood circles glued together. I got them in a bag of 40 from a craft store a number of years back , hopefully I can find more. The fist for the ram is foam that I drew on with a ball point pen to make the outline of fingers. I'm tinkering with adding thin card to simulate iron plates or sculpting animal hides out of modeling clay.

As a postscript to the battering ram I am trying to make it look like a fantasy world battering ram rather than real world but I'm not theming it to any one army.

[Image: battering_ram.jpg]

All in all I'm pleased with the results. There are a number of castles for Warhammer out there. Very few Nippon Castles however.
This is looking marvelous. So corner towers replace a plain corner (and have short walls permanently attached). Wondered how sloped walls would work.

For animal hides: try heavy brown paper. Like this:
[Image: 344465.jpg]
Take a swatch of it. Wad it up. Unfold it. Wad it up. Unfold it. Once it is good and crinkled, give it some paint while it is taped down flat. Should look like a leather hide.
Marvellous Nippon castle! I really envy the skill and the patience you put into this piece of art (and play Wink)
Quote:Tertius
This is looking marvelous. So corner towers replace a plain corner (and have short walls permanently attached). Wondered how sloped walls would work.

For animal hides: try heavy brown paper. Like this:

Take a swatch of it. Wad it up. Unfold it. Wad it up. Unfold it. Once it is good and crinkled, give it some paint while it is taped down flat. Should look like a leather hide.

I might just have to give that a try. and thanks for the comments guys. 

Update #27
It took almost one week of work but the first corner tower is now more or less complete (I still have to add the rivets to the doors). I wouldn't say that its tedious work but rather time consuming.

As you can see the tower fits quite well and I'm pleased with the height in relation to the the rest of the castle. the faux stone work on the front covered any gaps with the walls that but up to the tower itself.

The top of the tower is not affixed and comes off so minis and or artillery can be placed there. I'm thinking of making small catapults that can be used by a variety of different races if I make say a Empire style castle. etc.

[Image: nippon_castle40.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle41.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle42.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle43.jpg]

Let me know your thoughts and here is to making three more? Gulp. Shy

And yes that is a Glenlivet box in the background... Smile
Update #28
Once again I've been busily plugging away on my Nippon Castle. I did take a brief pause to work on a siege tower, well because I wanted to which is now mostly complete (see below).

But in terms of the castle? My latest bout of work has been creating three more towers that can be swapped in and out with the corner wall sections. After creating my first one seen above I used it as a template. I sketched it out and then traced it onto the foam board that forms the basis of the walls. So as you can see I’m working on two corner towers at the same time.

[Image: nippon_castle44.jpg]

The fourth and last one I have also been creating the parts for as I go, but realized that working on two towers is more than enough at one time. Because of that the last one will go much faster I suspect.

As I also noted I did take a pause and created a siege tower. Its not for any one army that I possess, but I did want it to look more fantasy-like than historical. I based it on the siege engine on the back of the 3rd Edition Warhammer Siege book. Lastl thing to do before painting it is to add some green stuff to the head of the ram which I made from the large giant's sprue.

[Image: siege_tower1.jpg]

[Image: siege_tower2.jpg]
[Image: siege_tower3.jpg]
I suspect that I should finish the two towers I'm working on within the next couple of days. After that? Not sure I'm still debating altering the roof lines of the main castle a bit.
Fantastic work on the castle and siege tower!
What does the siege tower look like from the back? Interested to see what you did with stairs/ladders.  I am thinking accessibility might triumph over realism -or- put it another way, ladders could get in the way of placing figures.

It is very spikey. Did you carve the spikes out of cylindrical dowels or are those skewer tips of some kind? Also curious if it has a parapet area. (Another reason to want a back view or a top view.)

It is a nice build. For some reason I think the opening onto the drop bridge is tall enough for Ogres? But now realizing it could be shorter. More pix plz.
I’ll see if I can take one tonight.
Update #29
Good news for all I have some more updates to share. I've now completed the major construction of the castle in terms of the construction. I will now be turning my thoughts to ornamentation, improvements and/or any alterations. After these photos were taken I started to glue down rocks and gravel getting it ready for paint.

As you can see I now have all four of the corner towers complete as well as the corner wall sections i worked on previously. The tops of all four towers are removable to allow for the placement of siege engines.

So far so good.
[Image: nippon_castle45.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle46.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle47.jpg]

Quote:What does the siege tower look like from the back? Interested to see what you did with stairs/ladders. I am thinking accessibility might triumph over realism -or- put it another way, ladders could get in the way of placing figures.

It is very spikey. Did you carve the spikes out of cylindrical dowels or are those skewer tips of some kind? Also curious if it has a parapet area. (Another reason to want a back view or a top view.)

It is a nice build. For some reason I think the opening onto the drop bridge is tall enough for Ogres? But now realizing it could be shorter. More pix plz

As a bonus I have the requested photo of the back of the siege tower I completed as well as a group shot of all of the siege equipment Ive created thus far.

[Image: siege_tower4.jpg]

[Image: siege_equipment1.jpg]
Update #30
I've taken a bit of a step back from the Nippon Castle and after a period of intensive construction dating back to October. What I have been working on instead is the unit of Nippon Ashigaru armed with swords. The last time we saw these guys they were pretty much just undercoated. Even though the picture only shows the front rank I've been working on all of them (24- still need a 25th one). The Japanese on the flag spells out "rabble" which is fitting for a unit of ronin types, or at least quasi-brigand type warriors! Also please pardon my painting of the characters- I've never written any kanji and/or kana symbols (let alone painting them) so it may be off.

I expect they will be finished fairly soon.

[Image: nippon_ronin5.jpg]

Next up is my first gaggle of ninja, I say gaggle because in this concentration these guys are as effective as Imperial Stormtroopers in the Star Wars Universe! I am now closing in on these guys. The bases are a bit brighter than I wanted. They were originally black and gray but I didn't want that for my Nippon army so I worked up three layers of brown.

Like the ashigaru above they are getting close to being complete.

[Image: nippon_ninjas13.jpg]
So it seems that I keep thinking of more modular ideas for this castle.

The next decision I'm contemplating is to add a moat in a modular fashion like Nick Davis did in White Dwarf #225 (AFAICR) and then create a hill than will raise the whole thing up to simulate a mountain castle. The idea would be to use the moat to simulate a castle on the low-lands and then swap it out for the raised base.
Since there is a dearth of material to help support Nippon in Warhammer I've been looking at other sources, here are some of what I've been using:
  • Oriental Adventures - 1st Edition AD&D.
  • Dragon #121 Various articles on Oriental Adventures - 1st Edition AD&D.
  • Time Life Books- Great Ages of Man, Early Japan - which accidentally got left out in the rain this Fall. I was able to save it but its now beat up Sad
  • Shogun- Novel
  • Shogun- The TV Mini Series.
  • 2nd Edition Warhammer Nippon Army list (duh, right?)
This list is not exhaustive, but Games Workshop promised an expansion for the Far East of the Warhammer World in the 3rd Edition rule book and then it died there. My guess is they got sidetracked with 4th Edition and the shift from the earlier rule sets.

So this has means I'm largely blazing a path that no one else has tread, yes people have made Nippon armies, but not really for 3rd Edition.
Update #31
(Not sure why, but I've never liked the number 31!)

As i took a minute to take stock of the Nippon Castle I realized I'm at a very good point, then it struck me, I needed to add a moat so here it is. I've drawn inspiration from the 3rd Edition Talisman Realm boards and from White Dwarf  #224 and #225, particulaly Nick Davis' Jungle Fever - Part 2" where he covers the creation of his Lizardman Castle and its corresponding moat.

[Image: nippon_castle49.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle48.jpg]

The towers are the most difficult parts so I started there..
Update #32
Even though I'm working on a ton of projects I did find time to finish my first unit of Nippon minis, my first gaggle of ninjas!

I decided that the black was a bit too flat so I overemphasized the gray on the highlights to make everything stand out a bit more. I think it came out fairly well. I may do the same on the next unit of ninjas which now numbers 16. My quest to finish collecting rest is getting close to complete. I'm going to have some left over (duplicates) to use for hidden ninjas in unit which I may paint with red clothing or perhaps white

[Image: nippon_ninjas13.jpg]

[Image: nippon_ninjas14.jpg]

[Image: nippon_ninjas15.jpg]

[Image: nippon_ninjas16.jpg]

[Image: nippon_ninjas17.jpg]
I have been doing a few modifications to the structure and I have also finished the construction of the moat. Since this is not strictly an Asian/Japanese castle I've been free to add elements I want. Case in point the structure didn't really lend itself to a stone bridge to the front gate. So I harken back to White Dwarf #225 with Nick Davis' Excellent "Jungle Fever- Part 2" article chronicling his construction and painting of his Lizardman fortification.

I should have some pics up later tonight.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Millsy's Dogs of War - New Pics 19-04-14 Millsy 23 35,154 08-24-2017, 06:34 AM
Last Post: Willmark
  [12-29-16] Willmark's Regiments of Renown Willmark 6 4,987 07-09-2017, 08:38 PM
  Dogs of War WIP Shane 12 16,798 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM
  Aldhick's Dogs of War Army Aldhick 25 37,032 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
  Melchior's Dogs of War/Empire fusion project WGMelchior 5 13,357 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Last Post: WGMelchior
  Reinventing Dogs of War Warlord 18 36,992 05-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Last Post: francois van brederode
  Timbor's Dogs of War Timbor 24 42,294 05-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Timbor
  Dogs of War macknight 14 24,134 05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Sharkbelly
Photo Tribun's Dogs of War reloaded Tribun 63 95,524 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sharkbelly
  my nippon army (WIP) TheBorderPrincessPrince 1 5,120 11-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Last Post: broken.seraph