[11-11-17] Willmark' Warband of Nippon- Dogs of War 2nd/3rd edition style
(10-27-2017, 07:24 AM)Willmark Wrote: Update #24
I've been working away,
And it is looking really good.

(10-27-2017, 07:24 AM)Willmark Wrote: Update #24
[...snip...]
As you can see in the background I have to straighten out the roof line of the main part of the castle. I've been meaning to do it put I am still debating the best way to do it.
I had to zoom up to see it. My first thought was, "but it is a Japanese castle, the roof is supposed to curve a bit. What's to straighten?"  And then I saw the wave. Not supposed to be waves in the timber...

It looks like a piece of chip board cladding. [?]
What means have you considered for fixing it?
(10-28-2017, 12:55 PM)Tertius Wrote: What means have you considered for fixing it?

The answer turned out to be easier then I thought. I'm using basswood to make a "bottom" frame for the roof. It will be a bit of work and I should have done it when I first started on this project a few years back but it is what it is. I think once I've added the wood to brace the roof it should straighten out.
Update #25
Its Nippon Castle madness time again! Work continues apace! Here is where the castle stands as of about 5 days ago:
[Image: nippon_castle26.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle24.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle25.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle23.jpg]

The basics of the outer walls are complete here as is the inner walkway (which I completed a few nights later.) I spent a lot of time on the gatehouse and it shows I believe. The floor can be pulled out and the roof is likewise detachable.

Here is where the castle stands as of tonight's work. It doesn’t look like I did much in a week, but I spent a lot of timing straightening the roof lines, strengthening the roof itself and worked on the gatehouse and outer walls too. As you can se there has been a lot of work on the gatehouse below along with the postern gate to the side. 

[Image: nippon_castle27.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle28.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle29.jpg]

In all still having a lot of fun working on this, but still a long ways to go. I'm now pleased with the straightened out roof lines and roofs themselves. The outer walls will be a lot of work, but I did complete one of the corner sections which was a cause of concern in terms of how it would come together.
So no corner Towers as such..?
Just a sort of beveled corner, four places.
There will be, just not yet. While watching football I was sketching out the bases. That sounds weird but the towers are not the difficult part. Where it abuts to the base board from the castle is.

I spent the weekend working on the outer walls and am now close to completing.
Update #26
Work continues apace on the castle of my warlord/damiyo/mercenary leader. The first batch of photos shows the work I accomplished last week. I managed to complete more of the straightening and reinforcing of the roof structure. The first pictures documents me getting really close to finishing the outer walls.
[Image: nippon_castle30.jpg]

As you can see in this one, only one more corner section to go!
[Image: nippon_castle31.jpg]

The postern gate. This came out really well by my estimation. It was bit "taller" than I wanted but considering that it is a Asian-inspired type of architecture I let it go. I'll need to get some close ups of the gate/door as it fits near perfectly.
[Image: nippon_castle32.jpg]

At last the final corner section complete! Uniformity of all the outer walls for the win.
[Image: nippon_castle33.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle34.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle35.jpg]

A close-up of one of the corner sections. I thought these were going to be difficult to do, turns out they were fairly easy if you take your time, measure twice and cut once...
[Image: nippon_castle36.jpg]

Here it is, the first of the corner towers underway. If going slow on terrain taught me anything its certainly magnified here. The base structure is foam core board which I used a piece of paper first to get the right shape to snug up to the existing walls. From there I made sloping walls to the tower. I measured out the height I wanted and then cut each one slightly bigger to be safe. From there I used masking tape to hold the walls and top together while I cut the next sections. From there more masking tape and glue and done.

From there it was repeating the work I've done on the walls but with some slight angles which were a bit trickier.

[Image: nippon_castle37.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle38.jpg]

[Image: nippon_castle39.jpg]

Since these photos I've done a bit more but more but I am happy with the progress thus far. I'm still sketching out how I want the tops of the tower to look but I do know they will be removable like the roof for the main tower.

Along with the corner towers I'm deciding on some extra walls of varying lengths as well as more ornamentation for the main keep (Tenshukaku in Japanese). The castle this is based on Kakegawa is not heavily ornamented, however I do realize this is the Warhammer world and I don't have to follow a actual castle verbatim. We'll see what comes of this.

As a bonus here is a picture of a battering ram I've been revamping when I'm waiting for the castle sections to dry. Its from 1991 when Jeff, Dave and I were playing Warhammer Siege for 3rd Edition. As you can see its been heavily modified. The brownish painted part is the only original parts to it. I revamped the wheels, the roof, the ram and started adding random bits to it as I went. The whole structure was done fairly well but the inner bracing were all a bit off; apparently my angles and measuring weren't so great 25+ years ago.

The wheels are two balsa wood circles glued together. I got them in a bag of 40 from a craft store a number of years back , hopefully I can find more. The fist for the ram is foam that I drew on with a ball point pen to make the outline of fingers. I'm tinkering with adding thin card to simulate iron plates or sculpting animal hides out of modeling clay.

As a postscript to the battering ram I am trying to make it look like a fantasy world battering ram rather than real world but I'm not theming it to any one army.

[Image: battering_ram.jpg]

All in all I'm pleased with the results. There are a number of castles for Warhammer out there. Very few Nippon Castles however.
This is looking marvelous. So corner towers replace a plain corner (and have short walls permanently attached). Wondered how sloped walls would work.

For animal hides: try heavy brown paper. Like this:
[Image: 344465.jpg]
Take a swatch of it. Wad it up. Unfold it. Wad it up. Unfold it. Once it is good and crinkled, give it some paint while it is taped down flat. Should look like a leather hide.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Millsy's Dogs of War - New Pics 19-04-14 Millsy 23 27,038 08-24-2017, 06:34 AM
Last Post: Willmark
  [12-29-16] Willmark's Regiments of Renown Willmark 6 1,771 07-09-2017, 08:38 PM
  Dogs of War WIP Shane 12 12,743 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM
  Aldhick's Dogs of War Army Aldhick 25 28,812 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
  Melchior's Dogs of War/Empire fusion project WGMelchior 5 11,066 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Last Post: WGMelchior
  Reinventing Dogs of War Warlord 18 30,491 05-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Last Post: francois van brederode
  Timbor's Dogs of War Timbor 24 33,642 05-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Timbor
  Dogs of War macknight 14 19,736 05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Sharkbelly
Photo Tribun's Dogs of War reloaded Tribun 63 76,668 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sharkbelly
  my nippon army (WIP) TheBorderPrincessPrince 1 3,982 11-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Last Post: broken.seraph