Warhammer Armies - Kingdoms of Ind
Hold onto your... well, whatever feels good. Even though I'm not planning on working on the project yet per say, I always start brainstorming and collecting source material long before actually writing, and Ind would be not different. This is yet another list I wasn't at all planning to do, but I just kinda fell into it, I guess.

I don't have the units finished by names or anything yet, but I got the concept clear in my head. Kingdoms of Ind will not be "just another human army" at all, although is will feature plenty of them. I decided to focus Ind more on the mythological rather than the historical, where the human troops are mere fillers and the God Daemons are the real army. Concept is this: the humans and their God Daemons live in symbiosis, where the humans worship the gods and bring them gifts and sacrifices in return for protection.

It has quite few similarities to Chaos in that way, but Ind will feature a mix of mortals (whom are just humans, rather than roid-warriors) and Daemons (who are not really Daemons per say, but quite similar), something that no longer exist rules-wise. If effect, they will have cheap (weak) human troops as core, with powerful hardhitting God Daemons as special, and even bigger monster (and Elephants) as rare. As for the actual units, they are still in a very early stage. Suffice they say, they will include Rakshasha (Tigermen) and Kalites (Deamons with 4 arms, and 4 weapons), as well as plenty of Elephants, Naga and a Basilisk.

Download Link: http://issuu.com/m4cr1ii3n/docs/warhamme...oms_of_ind

Lords:
Maharajah (fighter/support)
- Bodyguard
Eldritch Guru (wizard)
Greater Deity (Greater Deamon equivalent)

Hero:
Raja (fighter/support)
- Bodyguard
Mahasiddh/Guru (wizard)
Lesser Deity (daemon, ogre size)

Core:
Peasant Levy (spears, slings)
Nayar Warriors (spears, swords, shields, LA)
Mahrata Archers (long bows)
Death Cultists (frenzy, GW)
Avar Horsemen (mounted, spears, shield, LA, bows)
Khurdeshi Stalkers (skirmish, bow, scout)

Special:
Elephants (in units)
Royal Chariots (chariot, maybe...?)
Dvarapala (daemon, very heavily armoured infantry)
Kalites (daemon, lots and lots of Attacks)
Rakshasa (daemon, skirmish, hardhitters)
Garuda (daemon, flyer)

Rare:
Naga (daemon, ogre size)
Basilisk (monster)
Royal Elephant (bigger elephant, duh!)
Hmm - not quite sure on the idea as from GW written background we know the Kingdoms are ruled by wealthy and generous men. However, it still seems a good idea - just not quite Ind.

But for units - I know that in my Ind book there shall be a Chimera (using the rules found in the Warhammer Rulebook for use with the Transformation of Kadon spell) and the average soldier (although this probably won't fit with your idea) will be on the elite side for basic human infantry with a highish leadership and armed with longbow, light armour, spear (upgrade to halberd), shield and (obviously), a hand weapon - seems historically correct considering when in Indian history I'm basing my book on. But of course, these are just my thoughts (and will be in my Ind Book).
Verezzo
On the wealthy side, I always imagined huge silk clad mercenary guards wielding halberds one handed as they defended a lord on a slave borne throne... The Spears of Ind... Don't ask me why, it's just the image I have.

And Vhiet Fighters, like elf shadow warriors that fight guirrilla warfare after the cathayans invaded their ancestral home and forced them into the jungles of Ind.

Just my crazy ideas, up for use in both your army list projects if you want.
First unit of 20 Plague Monks killed ten Chaos Knights, then got cut apart by a single Marauder. Bad Omen?
I'm not entirely sure, but isn't the stories about the Manticore originally from the Ind region?

Only book I know that could be used for Ideas would be "THe Jungle Book"

though I suppose mostly for name ideas

What about having the God Demons being the Champion/Heroes of the weak humans? (Maybe unit upgrades like DE Assassins?)

Kinda like how the Saurus carrie the Slan into Battle, but having the demons to be the fighter

And perhaps add a special rule for each unit rank up to +3

Something like 2 Ranks and the Unit is Stubborn, 3 ranks and the Unit is Stubborn and ITP and 4+ ranks = Unbreakable

THis symbolizing the peoples faith in the "God" and the fewer worshippers around the god would weaken it's power etc
@ Verezzo - Don't worry, the Maharajah's are still the ones ruling the land, but the Gods will take a much more active role in their lives than normal. That said, they prefer gifts and sacrifices before politics and bureaucracy, where they are more than happy to allow the human to rule. All their human troops won't be that weak either, but compared to most armies, they won't win any prize. Their royal guard will be the basic unit à la greatswords, protecting the maharajah, and the rest of the troops will be about as good as empire state troops, with less armour.

@ LordGeneral - There will be something similar with the Maharajah's bodyguard Wink The Vieth fighters sounds cool, I was thinking of mercs from Khuresh though. Do they have any historical precedence to use as a base?

@ Chain - The God Deamons couldn't lead the human units, as they are Unbreakable (meaning they can't join each other), so that wouldn't work. Also, I'd like to keep them separate as much as possible. They will definitely get a Ld boost from nearby God units though Smile
I have to agree with Lord, GW released the Golden king of Harad (or something like this) including fat guards a few months ago...something similar would fit well I suppose!
LANDSKNECHTE
'ey look, it's Grotbag the Gretchin, pickin' iz nose an' not fetchin' an' carryin' like 'ee should be, da skumbo!
Well you've done good so far, so I shouldn't get you to far off track
Good thing making suggestions never hurt ^^

Going to Include Snake Tammers?(Or did you use that in another army?)
Nope, the more suggestions the better Smile

I was thinking about Snake Tamers, which will be included, but probably rather as Basilisk guards than small snake charmers. Could include snakes as a swarm though I suppose.
Not sure if you could use this one

King Cobras

since it's a snake that feed mainly on other snakes or maybe have the Bassilisk feed on smaller snakes? getting some ideas for it from the King Cobra or planing to go full mythology for it?
Don't know how you would implement that rules-wise, the only army with any kind of snakes are lizardmen swarms. I was thinking more on the mythic beast, you know, the huge snake that petrifies people by looking at them.
(07-18-2010, 07:32 AM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: Don't know how you would implement that rules-wise, the only army with any kind of snakes are lizardmen swarms. I was thinking more on the mythic beast, you know, the huge snake that petrifies people by looking at them.

I know it eno0ugh to have seen it as a:

Snake, Lizard and Giant Chicken with serpent tail

The Snake Version usually look best imo
Ah, you mean a Chimera! Smile

Yeah, that could be implemented, if it has some basis in India. It came from Asia minor from what I know.

Edit: oops, I see what you mean know, the different kinds of which the basilisk are depicted right? In which case yes, the snake is the coolest.
I don't suppose it's possible this might be backwards compatible with 7th ed? The reason I ask is that my group has decided that it's a waste of money to shell out for new rulebooks, meaning I'm still working with the old one. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for this armybook!
I'm currently a knight, but someday I have dreams of advancing to Asarnil Dragonlord.

Not a Bretonnian knight, though. I want to be one of those cool Arabyan Mamluks.
Sorry, but it will be made for 8th edition as well. It shouldn't be be much of hindrance to use it with 7th ed though, just houserule some of the houserules when needed :p
Like with Albion for instance, just give them +1A on the charge and +1D3 to charge range and whatnot, instead of devastating charge and swiftstride (8th ed rules).

That said, it will be quite a while until Ind is finished, I have gathered most of the source material I need, but I will likely finish with Dogs of War, update all other books, as well as working more on my studies before really going to start with this one. Heck, might even make Estalia first, haven't decided yet. I would expect to be finished with a new book before Christmas at least, probably sooner.
Liking what people are saying!

I was basing the Vhiet on the Viet Cong actually, as they lived in INDochina.
First unit of 20 Plague Monks killed ten Chaos Knights, then got cut apart by a single Marauder. Bad Omen?
The Viet Cong? You want people running around with miniature AK-47's in Warhammer? :p

Vietnam, Burma and so forth are rather the precedents for the Hinterlands of Khuresh which lies below Cathay. Ind would be purely based on India.
In the somewhat dubious background for them my friends and I put together for them, the Vhiet are the remenants of their people, living in the service of the Maharajas after they were forced from their native lands by Cathay and their allies. Inspired by Elven Shadow Warriors/Shades, they fought with bows mainly, and had some (needlessly complicated) hatred and booby trap rules. Their basic set up was stats and equipment wise they were far from exceptional, but their special rules even made Wood Elves think twice about forests.
I'm not saying you have to include them, I'm just telling you how they came to be in Ind in my local groups background. If they aren't what you want to include them in your Ind book that's fine by me; the Vhiet can try and fight their way back into their old homeland before either you or Verezzo do a Hinterland list.

Either way, the Vhiet are waiting
Well, I was thinking of something similar for Ind actually, which would be mercs from Khuresh. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there, aiming to finish Estalia first, which might take a while due to the high number of quality titles coming to the pc this fall, as well as a play through of Dragon Age Origins... and apparently, I even have studies I need to do! Oh well, back to reading reviews for awesomely bad games...
(08-15-2010, 11:46 AM)M4cR1II3n Wrote: The Viet Cong? You want people running around with miniature AK-47's in Warhammer? :p

Yes! Oh Yes! AK-47- the very best there is. When you absolutely, positively have to kill every miniature on the board... Accept no substitutes!

And the best part is, after Daemons of Chaos, it's not even cheese! ;-)
I'm currently a knight, but someday I have dreams of advancing to Asarnil Dragonlord.

Not a Bretonnian knight, though. I want to be one of those cool Arabyan Mamluks.
Updated first post with the units I'm planning on including. This is far from finished, I'd love to get some input from someone who is relatively well-versed in Indian history/mythology. Or just have some cool ideas to go with :p

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warhammer: Norse Tribes - Wolfborn (New Norse Army Book) Grim Squeaker 172 275,329 07-03-2015, 05:30 AM
Last Post: Grim Squeaker
  Warhammer: Pirates of Sartosa M4cR1II3n 0 4,373 08-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Last Post: M4cR1II3n
  Warhammer Armies - Amazons M4cR1II3n 42 63,994 08-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Rhomdruil
  Warhammer Armies - Norse (version 1.0 up now!) M4cR1II3n 78 106,425 05-12-2013, 12:29 PM
  Warhammer Armies - Estalia (M4cR1II3n's version) M4cR1II3n 63 96,564 05-06-2013, 12:15 AM
  Warhammer: Cult of Ulric M4cR1II3n 15 24,029 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM
  Warhammer: Chaos Dwarfs M4cR1II3n 1 6,025 03-05-2013, 09:42 PM
  Warhammer Armies - Halflings! M4cR1II3n 18 27,338 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Last Post: RageofAeons
  Warhammer Armies - Nippon (Army book) M4cR1II3n 48 78,585 02-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Last Post: RageofAeons
  Warhammer Armies: Hobgoblins M4cR1II3n 7 14,234 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM